Lots Of Water Leaks

While I have my interior stripped, I'm working on fixing the water leaks that caused my floorboard rust. It turns out that my MJ is leaking like a sieve into both the driver and passenger side floor wells, obviously not ideal. I'm figuring it's leaking from at least two places:

1. The driver's side leak I've pinpointed to the area around the hood release cable and where the wiring harness plugs into the fuse box. I haven't been able to find the exact source of this leak.

2. The passenger's side seems to me like it's coming through the cowl area (where the wiper blades are.) but several tests have shown that it doesn't matter exactly where I spray from. I've tried clearing the only thing that looks like a drain hose I can find (a small piece of rubber pipe by the blower motor) with no results. I've also heard that this leak can be caused by worn seals in the A/C system, but everything I have read has to do with 97+ XJs. It's definitely not coolant but that is the area that I would associate with a dead heater core.

I've checked and I'm pretty sure the windshield is not the problem with either of these leaks. Any advice? I don't need the truck drivable for the next month or so so throwing a quick fix together isn't a priority.

Thanks for any help as usual! :thumbsup:

There is a rubber seal where the hood meets the body when you close the hood. If this seal is bad i would imagine it would allow water to run down the face of the engine side firewall. If any of the holes are uncovered, BAM. Theres your water source.

From what it sounds, you must not have your black box thingy/climate control system removed. Other wise you would have to be blind not to see where the leaks are coming from.

I used baby powder to pinpoint my leaks.  the water will make tracks through it and lead back to the source. :thumbsup:  one of my leaks was actually coming through the windshield, running inside the a-pillar, and behind the paneling to get to the floor. :ack:

I just went outside and I learned something... that's unusual.

The biggest source of passenger side water (I've identified the drivers side leak as being the junction block grommet) looks like a screw hole on the lower 'dash' that had a long 8mm bolt in it. I've stuck a pipecleaner up there and I can't get it all the way in but it came out pretty dirty. Here's a horribly low quality phone picture of what I'm talking about. The hole in question is close to the middle of the pic on the black box.

HRMI0mVl.jpg

Would I be correct in assuming this has to do with a drain system of sorts?

• 3 months later...

i also have this issue, water leak only on the driver side, doesn't seem like it's comin from under the dash but it also doesn't look like it's comin from the weather strip around the door but it's always in one spot, right next to the seat brackets and in the very back left corner of the driver side floor pan before ya get to the hump that leads to the seat brackets, any ideas where to start?

Redwolf

could be the rear window leaking.  could be the door.  the baby powder trick works. :thumbsup:

i don't think it's the back window cause i'll have more of a puddle in the front have of the floor board than i do in the back, what's an alturnative for the baby power?

Redwolf

baking soda would work. though I think it dissolves in water.  that might make for more mess.  or less.  only one way to find out! :D

well i aint bein the guinee pig for that, i found baby powder under the bathroom sink so i'll try that, i do have an idea of where it might come from but i can't logicly see it,

Redwolf

• 1 month later...

Sounds like I have the exact same problem Minuit does. I'll give that baby powder trick a go. Thanks for the advice!

The driver's side was leaking from where the engine bay harness goes into the firewall. Without removing the junction, silicon sealant is about the only way to seal it up. The passenger side leaked (and still does mostly) through the blower motor seal (the most common cause of passenger side floor rot on MJs), cowl (water came from the spot in the picture, and only under direct water pressure i.e. hose) and antenna grommet. Very few of the XJ gaskets are still in production to my knowledge, which sucks if you're like me and 1. hate silicon sealant with a passion and 2. like to do things in a way that at least looks original.

If someone can point me to a source that sells real gaskets and seals for these trucks then I will be eternally grateful.