One Of The Unlucky Who Cannot Daily Drive A Comanche

Myron

So I'm driving my truck to work this morning. Everything seems fine. Just cruising along, and BOOM! CLANK CLANK CLANK CLHRRRRRRRRRRRDTTTHH. Truck starts smoking so bad no one behind me can see. Pull over, and everything under the drivers side of the head is covered in oil.   :soap box: I'm reasonably sure I know what happened, my truck was mad because I moved it behind the shop while I was mowing. It sat there for a couple days because of the lights and oil pressure gauge not working. And decided it didn't want to run anymore. (or it lost oil pressure and slung a rod.) Something like this always happens when I try to DD a Comanche. No matter how good of shape it seems like it's in., or how careful I am when something isn't right, something breaks and as soon as it's fixed another problem comes up. I don't know what I'm going to do with this thing now. Oddly enough my Wrangler is down too, and I'm driving the 98 XJ I bought for parts. Looks like my wrangler will be up for grabs as soon as I get it fixed. I'm starting to debate whether or not to put another 4.0 in it and try to drive it everyday, or to just drive something else and have another toy.

Don't give up. Even the worst string of bad luck has to end sometime. I have a '87 MJ 2WD that's been my summer DD for the last 3 years and a '86 MJ 4WD that's my winter DD. Only thing I've ever done to either one is fill the gas tank and occasionally check the oil. :thumbsup:

I've had my first MJ for more than 5 years now, and it's 27 years old. Even with monthly abuse off road about monthly, redlining the engine often, and overheating on a number of occasions before I added an auxiliary fan, it never had any internal engine problems. All I have replaced due to breakage are radiator, starter and alternator. Also valve cover gasket and rear main seal to solve oil leaks. Oh, and the idler pulley bearing.

My other 27 years old Comanche that I drive daily has had the idler pulley bearing replaced, and the water pump bearing has been making a bit of noise for the past year.

Stroker= good power, decent mileage (or $#!&ty, heard both) and a common mod.

4BT= great power, killer mileage, and a very rare mod. Only heard of one Comanche with a 4BT. Lowest mileage I've heard of is mid 20s with a good 4BT. 

So I'm driving my truck to work this morning. Everything seems fine. Just cruising along, and BOOM! CLANK CLANK CLANK CLHRRRRRRRRRRRDTTTHH. Truck starts smoking so bad no one behind me can see. Pull over, and everything under the drivers side of the head is covered in oil.   :soap box: I'm reasonably sure I know what happened, my truck was mad because I moved it behind the shop while I was mowing. It sat there for a couple days because of the lights and oil pressure gauge not working. And decided it didn't want to run anymore. (or it lost oil pressure and slung a rod.) Something like this always happens when I try to DD a Comanche. No matter how good of shape it seems like it's in., or how careful I am when something isn't right, something breaks and as soon as it's fixed another problem comes up. I don't know what I'm going to do with this thing now. Oddly enough my Wrangler is down too, and I'm driving the 98 XJ I bought for parts. Looks like my wrangler will be up for grabs as soon as I get it fixed. I'm starting to debate whether or not to put another 4.0 in it and try to drive it everyday, or to just drive something else and have another toy.

I will throw in my story and see if it makes you feel any better...

Bought my MJ last May, already lifted with 33 x 12.50..... this was just going to be a trash truck and something to go to the river in.

One week after i bought it coming home and hear hissing.  huge slash in the tread of the tire, others are not in best of shape so I was forced to buy new tires.

Seems like a week after that the starter was making one hellva noise, tore some teeth off the flywheel so then I had to replace flywheel, starter, clutch, and slave cylinder. Not a damn week after that I was driving and kept smelling gas very strong. Yeah I had 2 fuel injectors leaking like hell so I had to replace the fuel injectors. Of course a month later the alternator quit charging so I had to replace it.  ughhhhhhhh I was ready to burn this truck to the ground. So after I finally replaced all that my track bar stripped out and that had to be replaced. Then for some god unknowing reason I decided I needed to re-do the complete drivetrain.... that was 2 months ago and I still don't have my truck. SO I can relate on not being able to drive it as a DD. Glad I have a Honda to DD. :D