Engine Dying Out When Going Downhill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt any MJ does that.  Certainly not the Renix, the computer never even knows if the vehicle is even moving.

Certainly possible that the momentum of the truck with no throttle uses less gas than idling.

I seriously doubt any MJ does that.  Certainly not the Renix, the computer never even knows if the vehicle is even moving.

Certainly possible that the momentum of the truck with no throttle uses less gas than idling.

So your sayin that that if your going down hill at 2000 rpm, you take your foot off of the gas, the throttle butterfly closes

and your still flowing fuel? Carburetor yes injectors no, thats why there is a TPS or it would keep feedin fuel.

Are you saying the Renix system does not have a speed sensor input to the computer?

Are you saying the Renix system does not have a speed sensor input to the computer?

Does it?  I've never seen or heard of one.

Looks like the 89's w. the AW4 were the first Renix models to get a speed sensor (VSS). It's only used to control the tranny shifting points on the Renix system. On the HOs it also provides an input to the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got the IAC cleaned up good. Crabked the trucj, did fine. Till about 30 seconds in idle when it went down to about 200 rpm and nearly died (it does this almost every thirty seconds now. It runs good, then rough, then good again.) Without even moving! I'm thinking i might have used to much throttle body cleaner, so I'm about to take it off again and clean it dry. Otherwise, what could this be? Bad iac? Something worse?

• 4 weeks later...

Ive cleaned the IAC three times with no resilts. And refreshed my grounds, which at first I thought work, but it didn't. Now it stutters at idle and dies out whenever I go to turn and press the clutch in. Should I buy a new IAC? Is there anyway to be sure that it is the IAC before I buy it? I really need this figured out.

Thanks

Could someone please explain the tps adjustment? Ive checked it and all with my multimeter (5.045 V A and B prong. .3V B and C prong. Yes I know its nowhere near 17%) but I cannot figure out how to adjust it. And I've been meaning to straightpipe my exhaust, anyway to check if theres a clog? And also, when I rev my engine to 2-3000 rpms just sitting. It dies out when I let off. So IAC not acting fast enough?

To adjust the TPS, look for the two torx screws above and below the connector. Loosen both of them, but not so much that the TPS flops around. Twist it clockwise or counterclockwise with your voltmeter on to get the desired reading, than very carefully tighten the screws. By carefully, I mean that even the smallest movement will throw it off. 

I wouldn't blame anything on the IAC just yet, not until you have the TPS properly adjusted. I can imagine after being revved the engine might quit if the fuel delivery is a bit off. 

Ah, I see where you may be confused. While the connector is plugged into the TPS, you have to back probe the wires. You can do this by getting 3 thin pieces of metal (I used paper clips) and push them up the back of the connector, making sure they are touching metal. 

This explains it pretty well: http://comancheclub.com/topic/38612-very-high-idle/?p=388717

I'm doing dark OD green with black around the the trim. But back on topic. I adjusted the tps to .83 (calculated and that is correct for mine) and it idles a little better. But still dies out when going to high rpms to nothing... so what else should I be doing? But now I can't even get the truck to start again cause of problems getting power to the starter >.< I'm thinking battery cables. But on the dying out, what should I do?