Stock Axles, Brake Upgrade Needed To Pull A Trailer

Since I now have a rear bumper with a receiver installed, I can see myself wanting to pull a trailer occasionally. So, I better upgrade my brakes. Didn't want to hijack the other active thread, so thought i'd start my own.

I'd love to just swap in an 8.8 disc rear, but not at this time. Is there an uprade to be had by just swapping in a new master such as the 78 Marquis one with no other changes?

Is the difference in stopping power  worth the cost?

I don't need a whole lot more stopping power, just want to be safer...

Black Magic pads and Centric rotors for the front really help. http://blackmagicbrakes.com/

I'm familiar with the Black Magic brakes, but would rather not spend that kind of money on the stock axles that will be replaced some day soon. I would just like to upgrade the Master Cylinder if that would help any. really not sure if it is much of an upgrade is my concern.

What is your rear axle now? Dana 35?

Yes, with 3.08's.

I plan on an 8.8 in the future, but have a full plate right now. Might be several months out. I teach the 4-H kids rifle marksmanship, and we have a small enclosed trailer that I would like to take out to the range. I feel the stock brakes are marginal if pulling any kind of trailer, so am just looking for something I can do to get me by without feeling i'm beeing unsafe to others.

'96 XJ dual diaphragm booster with either XJ or ZJ MC gives you a firmer pedal and a lot more bite.  XJ booster drops right in though you may have to research how to adapt the Renix brake light switch to work.

I put one in Georgia about 2 months ago...check out pg 1 of my build thread for pic of the setup installed.

I thought this video was a pretty informative explanation of the process

I will check out that video. Thanks.

'96 XJ dual diaphragm booster with either XJ or ZJ MC gives you a firmer pedal and a lot more bite.  XJ booster drops right in though you may have to research how to adapt the Renix brake light switch to work.

I put one in Georgia about 2 months ago...check out pg 1 of my build thread for pic of the setup installed.

I had totally forgotten about you doing that. Thanks for the reminder.  So you think it would be enough of an improvement to warrant the expense? What I like about just a booster and MC upgrade is that when I eventually swap axles, the booster will already be there and not money wasted on the axles.

could do rear disk jy swap from a liberty or grand...

I am trying to stay away from spending anything on the axles so that when I swap them, it's not lost. For $300 I can get an 8.8 installed and set up, but then I would have to swap in matching gears up front, so i'm not ready for that yet. The JY swap is probably cheap enough, but I have to travel a total of 425 mile to the nearest one, and that adds alot to the cost.

I will look around on ebay though, so thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

He has evidently never heard of a line wrench. USE THE PROPER TOOLS FOR THE JOB!!!

A pair of vice grips and a regular open end wrench to remove the brake lines???? :nuts:

So you think it would be enough of an improvement to warrant the expense?

I think so.  The booster & MC combo cost $50 at the jy.  Georgia's MC was shot & she was puking brake fluid onto the booster and driver's side inner fender so it was the perfect time to upgrade. My "seat of the pants"  estimate of amount of braking power gained is 20%, not unbelievable but noticeable.

He has evidently never heard of a line wrench. USE THE PROPER TOOLS FOR THE JOB!!!

A pair of vice grips and a regular open end wrench to remove the brake lines???? :nuts:

As long as its his vehicle, I don't see why that's unacceptable to use. You just have to be careful.

As long as its his vehicle, I don't see why that's unacceptable to use. You just have to be careful.

I could care less what this fool does to his own vehicle. But posting clueless "how-to" videos like this to newbs who don't know any better usually causes more harm than help.

I could care less what this fool does to his own vehicle. But posting clueless "how-to" videos like this to newbs who don't know any better usually causes more harm than help.

I respect your opinion, but I believe that if you use vice grips and a wrench carefully, you can take off the lines with no damage.