Are 700R4s garbage?

DirtyComanche

Yeah, I knew that was the appeal. I guess guys run them in their street/strip cars often enough - but I assume they aren't stock trannies? Not that it matters - if I make 250HP I'll be suprised.

I have to admit I got converted to wheeling with an auto. It just happens that I could just pull a 4.3/700R4/NP231C all as one for about $300.

they are fine trannys. and a lot of parts swapablility between trannies. they can handle a ton of power if built for it,but stock i wouldn't realy put a whole lot of power through it. if you want a lot of torque, the 4l80e is the beefiest tranny stock. they changed the name from 700r4 to the 4l series in 95 i think?

I have to admit I got converted to wheeling with an auto. It just happens that I could just pull a 4.3/700R4/NP231C all as one for about $300.

Not to start a debate, but I like dealing with the clutch myself. I really feel like I have more control, and it's nice to not worry about if I can stop or not in 4-lo.

The 700r4 Is a great tranny if you need the overdrive function. Down sides are the lock up convetor and the comp controller... all can be bypassed. The earlier versions (pre 89) have been said to have weaker bands and clutches, this is easy fixed by upgrading to later model parts.

I don't know how much of chamber and hill climbing you do, but where the fluid is picked up on it is in the center of the pan, so over filling it is almost mandatory if you wheel in those conditions

As for the combo you listed thats a great set-up.... I have a similar one in my 85 xj, except it is a 207 behind mine

Not to start a debate, but I like dealing with the clutch myself. I really feel like I have more control, and it's nice to not worry about if I can stop or not in 4-lo.

The stock shifter is useless. A friend of mine has an Art Carr (sp?) and it makes it so much BETTER. It's setup so that it's easy to hit neutral to stop, or if you hit it hard it'll go to reverse (but not park) for when you've got the flipping over backwards feeling.

Had I not tried it out I wouldn't even consider it. I HATE the POS shifter in my XJ.

wheeling auto is so much easier. wow, i also don't like rolling backwards at all or having to jab the brakes on a hill climb.

I don't like having to jab the brakes when going down the hill. :D Also, if anyone is having problems with a clutch and a hill, they don't have enough gearing. :brows:

wheeling auto is so much easier. wow, i also don't like rolling backwards at all or having to jab the brakes on a hill climb.

I don't like having to jab the brakes when going down the hill. :D Also, if anyone is having problems with a clutch and a hill, they don't have enough gearing. :brows:

If you can lock out first and the TQ you can compression brake. But I was driving the MJ around today (new rear driveshaft - I can go fast!) and I realized how much I do compression brake because I can. Well, and because the brakes still blow because I haven't replaced the master.

its not the gearing... she wuoldve climbed up with no gas if i wanted... its the traction

granted I'm not switching save to ax15 (or nv if i can find one cheap) but the auto just feels safer. and if you put it in N downhill you won't have to worry about 4lo fighting you. it is nice to leave it in 1st and go down the hill at 1/2mph tho

The 700r4 Is a great tranny if you need the overdrive function. Down sides are the lock up convetor and the comp controller... all can be bypassed. The earlier versions (pre 89) have been said to have weaker bands and clutches, this is easy fixed by upgrading to later model parts.

Just an FYI, the computer is only required on the 4L60E model of the transmission. The 700-R4 (later renamed to the 4L60) only require a 12V electrical input for correct operation. In the EFI vehicles, the computer turns that 12V on and off based on the vehicle speed and (I think) throttle position. Painless Performance and TCI both make a retrofit kit that will let you use the 700-R4 in a non-EFI application. You can also go the ghetto way and run 12V from a switch and control the lock-up yourself.....