Dakota Bell Housing

Fella just called me. Got a '88 Dakota wants to sell. 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual. He doesn't know a 2.5 or a AX15 from shinola. Problem is, he's to far away to just go to loook. Almost have to be sure of buying to justify the trip. My question is, what are the chance of it having the bell housing for a a AX15 swap into a '87 MJ 2.5?

Its about 2" longer so it will make the front too short and the rear too long. A lift will make the front worse, it will help in the rear but you won't be able to make up the 2" so it will need shortend anyway.

In CJs the 4 cyl engine mounts can be slid forward on the frame to move the engine forward.

I don't have a 4cyl MJ here to look, but its worth checking out to see if the engine could be slid forward 2" or so to make the driveshafts work

(yeah, it could mean some fuel line, wiring & fan shroud work to do).

The other option would be to look at 6cyl driveshafts since they use that transmission.

I have heard of that done on wranglers too. I haven't looked to see how hard it would be to move the engine forward on our trucks, I planned to use a 4.0l front drive shaft but I was doing a SYE so I was gonna have to make a rear drive shaft.

Now I'm planning to swap a 4.3l so it doesnt matter for me anymore.