Rear Flat Fender Fitment Issues

I'm looking into installing a set of flat fender Bushwacker flares on Maura. I saw on Ryans bild where he bought a set, and then sold them because of fittment issues. I e-mailed Rocky Road Outfitters about them fitting the Comanche, and here is their reply:

"We haven't tried putting the flat flares on a Commanche. They should work because the Commanche has the same rear wheel well as the 2 door Cherokee and the Flat Style flares are the same for 2 and 4 door Cherokees.

They do not require cutting any sheet metal on a Cherokee, but they might require drilling some holes through the fenders."

So, not sure why they wouldn't fit correctly, but I would trust Ryans advice more than the vendor. Anyone have some flat fender rear flares installed from BW and care to comment on the fittment?

I could be wrong but aren't MJ flairs a little longer then XJ flairs?

That could be why cutout flairs interchange but non cutout flairs wouldnt.

Correct, the flares are a bit longer. You can get away with the cut out/pocket flares since the opening on the rear is essentially what the rear opening on a XJ would be cut open to match.

• 2 months later...

Any update on pics?

Thinking of getting these myself

I think what I'm going to do, is to install them and fill in the imperfect fit with U-pol raptor liner. I was planning on doing the rocker area anyways.

Did you check out my build thread for the pics? I will be dealing with the small gap on the rear fenders with "welding" in plastic and covering with U-Pol Raptor as well.
check the photos...the fit issue is really a piddly problem and should not be a big deal to fix...

•  
  •  
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

The regular bushwackers are cut out for the rear (and front) of a 2 door XJ ....and same on the comanche.

The flat top flares are not cut out for the rear of either application. The flat tops are cut out on the front for both applications no exception...you will need to cut the fender to get them to fit .

bushwacker does not make a direct fit rear flat top flare for a comanche, though they can be made to fit....

there will be a gap at the body line on the back of the rear flare as the opening is bigger on the back of the comanch than a 2 door XJ. IMO the gap is no big deal.

If you look at my build thread "the building of Bucky" you can clearly see what I am talking about...especially in the pasenger side photos showing close-ups on the rear bumper wrap around corners.

once she is back from paint. I intend to use spray on bed liner material on th lower body line, the bumpers andthe bushwackers. I will be filling that little "gap" and you will not see it.....

If you need me to re-post you some pics to show yyou what I mean I can get to it tonight.... let me know.

Also there are photos showing the front fender trimming that was done after removing the bushwackers for body prep and paint...again, no big deal, just take your time.

Biotex, on 20 Mar 2013 - 09:04, said:

Buffalob - did you build that bumper or is it an available product? That's exactly the bumper I'd like to have. And, have to ask, where did you get the bed rail caps?

Sorry for the thread jack - but I just had to ask!

Custom built for the truck By Jarod Fessler (his company name is Fessybuilt) He has a website but due to his shop moving (following a divorce...he got to keep his company intact though) From Thornton to Brighton Colorado, he was not accepting new orders for quite a while. I have not been in touch with him for about 8 months so I do not know if he is up and running again. I do not want to speak for the man but encourage you to contact him.

Check the web for his website and drop him an e-mail. he is a great guy to work with. I know he made patterns on both items you mention... He also modified my roll bar to double as a spare tire carrier, built the side rails/sliders, and the front bumper. Check my build page "the building of bucky" for lots more photos. If you talk to Jarod, pass him a howdy from me and my son (Nathan) as he did both bumpers on Nate's cherokee also.

Buffalob - did you build that bumper or is it an available product? That's exactly the bumper I'd like to have. And, have to ask, where did you get the bed rail caps?

Sorry for the thread jack - but I just had to ask!