Metal Hole Filler

I have several small holes that were drilled into my tailgate and bed. They are no more bigger than a pencil's eraser. I plan on putting the roll on Grizzly Grip bedliner. Can I use bondo type products to cover holes or welding the only way to do it right? Is there anything else I could do? I cannot weld, so would have to take it to a shop to do that.

Bondo won't work very well, it will look good at first but will eventually fall out.

I would weld it but make sure you find a welder that works with sheet metal,someone experienced with sheet metal is gonna be less likely to warp the metal.

If it were me I'd use a welder, but I have one and the skills to use it. So it goes against my better judgement to suggest this, try 'kitty hair' or fiberglass filler. You can get a quart can of the stuff with hardener at your local auto parts store. As long as the fiberglass filler has something to bite to, it will stick. Its water proof so it won't degrade like bondo.

I've used Bondo, Glass and weld to fill holes. Properly done they all work. If you don't have welding skills and can't afford to farm it out, then do it yourself and use Bondo. The main reason Bondfo fails is lack of proper preparation, Cleaning, prepping the surface. The second biggest reason it fails is improper mixing and curing. On a flat surface you need to countersink the hole and surrounding area to give the Bondo something to stick to.For a small hole like you're describing sand the area good, down to bare metal for a area 1inch in diameter that"s a 1/2 inch area around the hole. Take a punch with a rounded head, a screw or bolt head will work, center it on the hole and give it a smack. You don't want a big dent. a 1/4-3/8 will be adequate, Follow instructions on the Bondo and mix and apply. Build it up just a hair so you can sand it down and make it smooth and even with the surrounding surface. Do not try it if it's cold out. Wait for a warm day or have a heated garage. Also for a hole no bigger than you're describing JB Weld just might work.

I'm going to suggest an easy way, but will admit it wouldnt be the way I would do it.

Since it is going to be covered up with bedliner, you could install rivets that are flush or close to it. Once the rivet in in, you can take a file and hit the high points a bit, and then just add a little thicker bed liner over them.

Probably won't work on holes very large, as the bigger rivets stick up higher.

I have very similar sounding holes along my bed. I probably will weld some plugs in it eventually, maybe even just take some thicker sheet metal and put right on top almost like a bed rail. Then I would paint it since thats in my long term goals anyways. I guess it's up to how much work you want to do yourself. I sure am interested on how it works out if you would post some pics.

Thanks guys for the advice. I have a buddy who has access to his dad's welder. I'll see if they can do it, if not will take to a shop. I plan on having my MJ for a long time and want the job done right. Once I decide what to do I'll post before and after pics.

I have used "liquid metal" to plug holes in big steel and aluminum (liquid aluminum too) cooking stock pots, like the 15-20 gallon pots) and have been incredibly surprised that a.) it worked b.) it held up for years with every day abuse. And it was not just cosmetic...they have to be leak proof. Just like Jim sez, as with any surface applied goop, it's all about the prep. Bare metal in this case. Also be aware that most bedlining "roll on" does not necessarily do well with bare metal. Sand, prep, fix, prime, sand and roll (or spray).

put tape on the back of the hole if you can get at it before using jb weld. Or on whichever side you want flat, or whichever side the jb weld's going to run out of. Don't know how well it would work on sheet metal, but it worked great on a 1/4" tapped hole in 3/16" cast aluminum.

JB Weld bills itself as "steel reinforced epoxy" so in that way it's superior to bondo, but can still be sanded, drilled, even machined, they claim, as well as anything else. I can't speak for that property, but we used it for sealing our modified valve covers and also for bonding carbon fiber tubes to steel rod ends for suspension components on this the Formula SAE racecar we're building. The choice for the suspension components was the result of testing a bunch of different epoxies and bonding agents. For the valve cover, it was because we needed something solid and water/oil tight, and had a $#!& load of it left over.

A couple years ago while making my 287th parachute jump I had the unfortunate luck to have an equipment malfunction. Exited the aircraft at 20,000ft. At 18,000ft I noticed the left hand riser bracket was broken. Realizing that panic would be fruitless I remained calm and assessed my options. Fortunately in my 'always prepared' emergency kit bag was a J-B Weld package. I rapidly mixed a batch and 'welded' the bracket back together.Unfortunately the weld didn't have sufficient time to set before hitting the ground and I wound up breaking every bone in my bod. Using my first aid training I was able to patch myself together long enough to walk the 45 miles to the hospital where I received the necessary medical treatment I needed for full recovery. :thumbsup:

A couple years ago while making my 287th parachute jump I had the unfortunate luck to have an equipment malfunction. Exited the aircraft at 20,000ft. At 18,000ft I noticed the left hand riser bracket was broken. Realizing that panic would be fruitless I remained calm and assessed my options. Fortunately in my 'always prepared' emergency kit bag was a J-B Weld package. I rapidly mixed a batch and 'welded' the bracket back together.Unfortunately the weld didn't have sufficient time to set before hitting the ground and I wound up breaking every bone in my bod. Using my first aid training I was able to patch myself together long enough to walk the 45 miles to the hospital where I received the necessary medical treatment I needed for full recovery. :thumbsup:

Like I said...that &*%# works...sorry about your landing...should have used the "quik-set" version!!

At 18,000ft he'd still only have a couple minutes before hitting the ground. Not quite long enough for even the quik-set stuff. This is one of those situations where the duct tape is the only thing to save the day! Plus, it makes better bandages than JB weld.

At 18,000ft he'd still only have a couple minutes before hitting the ground. Not quite long enough for even the quik-set stuff. This is one of those situations where the duct tape is the only thing to save the day! Plus, it makes better bandages than JB weld.

Should have used the duct tape.