Noob Here W/an 87 Comanche

You might need to let off the throttle for a second or two if you're trying to disengage 4x4 on the fly. Things bind and don't always let go under load. If you're not moving and want to disengage, you might need to back up a couple feet.

Also, clutch or shift the transmission to neutral before shifting to 4lo. If you don't, the tranny will be spinning since the transfer case goes through neutral to get to 4lo, and you'll crunch the gears together in the tc.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gona need to pick up a jack for this. what would be a good one HF ? bottle jack, or floor jack? alluminum? also, my curent tool invintory consists mostly of metric. will i need a standard set? sockets up to what size for general purpose wrenching.

also, please point me in a direction for parts. who is/are the best new parts guys. do u guys use rock auto? are there any jeep parts houses on line?

I don't have one but I haven't heard anything horrible about HF jacks. I keep a bottle jack and tire iron behind the seat for emergency tire removal - while I'm thinking about it, getting an actual spare would be a good idea. Remember the saying, "one who does not use a jackstand becomes a jackstand" even more so for bottle jacks. Most of the bolts you'll need to worry about are metric. The only exception I can think of right now is on the battery, the terminal clamps are 1/2 in. If you don't have one a Torx set might also be handy (if you can help it replace the stupid Torx screws with real bolts) Rockauto has great prices, but shop around on Ebay first. Autozone is pretty expensive. Quadratec has lots of 4x4 parts but I've heard they're getting expensive. Team Cherokee specializes in XJs. Don't expect to find MJ specific parts (anything behind the doors) anywhere - except for the gas tank, strangely.

what is the best way to clean the engine? the truck had a bad oil fill cap gasket and has oil all over vc from blowing back and i'm assuming running down behind it. pressure wash?? i've read that all the sensors in there aren't good to get wet but i do wana clean up the engine. purple power then a low pressure rinse?

how can i tell if it's a dana 44? are there markings?

here's a view of diff covers to determine what you have. You need to go to page three for the diff covers.

(I can't capture the image and post it to this page.)

i am told the truck needs tie rods cause she has wobble between 55 and 65 mph. could it be that or death wobble and what is death wobble?

Death wobble is when your front end jerks side to side really, really rapidly and makes you feel like you're about to puke your heart out. You could have a bad tie rod end, but it sounds more to me like your tires need to be balanced. I've had this same problem (Death Wobble and unbalanced tires). To check your tie rod ends, take a long breaker bar, brace it against anything under the truck, and push against the top of any tie rod. It shouldn't move at all. Replace it if it does. I'd take it to Discount Tire to see about the wheels being balanced though.

The 44 is just a better axle all around, mainly in that it's stronger. Your 2.5 probably won't generate enough torque to even think about breaking a 35 without big tires (31s or bigger).

Death wobble: It's caused by SOMETHING in the front suspension or a combination of somethings. Tie rod ends and especially the track bar are good places to check for something worn or loose. You may also want to rotate and balance your tires if you haven't done so recently.

great info guys and keep it comming. i'm just a glutten for knowledge right now.

Bed sizes : SWB ( short bed ) 6' - gas door mid-way between box frt.& wheel arch , LWB (long bed ) 7' gas door abuts wheel arch . Canopies ,Tonneaus , lots for SWB , hard to find for LWB .(yours ).......BTW...Welcome to the club :cheers:

guys, i need a few suspension parts. pulled up the pic on this site and i need a trac bar, tie rod ( is this a 1 piece unit? ) i'm looking on rock auto and they don't specify right or left. also, whats the steering componant that looks like a shock absorber? steering stabalizer? can't find any part listed on rock autos site by that name.

so, here's some pics

the drivers side is much better than the pass. the truck was only driven 6,000 miles between 2008 and dec 2012. i'm guessing that the truck was parked with the pass side was expossed to the sun. thats the only thing that i can think of. let me know what you guys think.

i'm so happy :thumbsup:

oh yea, putting the visor back on in a day or 2