Dilema, What Should I Do?

jimoshel

I have a 1986 MJ. 2.5, AX5, 4wd, Runs good, Nice body, No rust. No dents. Engine's just wore out. Don't know why It's only got 325K on it. Highest compression reading is 90lbs. Burns a qt of oil in 200 miles. No knocks, No rattles.

Got a 96 XJ been wrecked. 2.5. 5speed, 4wd, 115k. Engine runs good.

1. Should I swap engines, convert the '96 to 86 specs by swapping all sensors etc.

2. Leave it '96 specs and swap all wiring, ECU etc.making the '86 a '96.

3. Sell the '96 engine and use the funds to overhaul the '86 engine.

Think I already know what I'm going to do. Just curious as to what fellow CC members would do.

:dunno: :banana:

I would swap the wiring and update the '86 to '96 specs. First, the MPFI version gives you more horsepower and a bit more torque. Second, a '96 update gets you OBD-II, and since driving the 2000 XJs I'm coming to appreciate OBD-II quite a lot.

^Agreed. I think there are plenty who would think that if you were to take the effort of swapping everything over, including the wiring, that you might as well just do a 4.0 swap. I'd say that if you don't need a 4.0 and you're happy with the 2.5 then just run with it. Not just the updated fuel delivery, but the updated wiring by itself. 10 years newer is a big difference when you're talking decay of wiring.

What rear axle are is in the XJ? I think I'd even swap those over for the fewer miles.

I was going to rebuild the engine. Felt it would be easier and quicker than the other two options. Also I enjoy doing it. However Eagle and Ben made very good points and I decided to go that route. Gonna start pulling (carefully, and taking notes and pics) tomorrow morn. Thanks for the input guys. And I am quite happy with the 2.5. Thought I would never say that being the old school cubic inches = horsepower believer that I am. Just going to swap the whole drive train, engine, transmission, transfer case and both axles. Heck. After all that, I may just paint it and get new upholstery.

A Throttle Body injected 2.5' will still be a dog after the rebuild.

Even with mods it probably still won't make the power of an MPI 2.5L.

But going OBDII in an MJ means the dash swap, GAS TANK SWAP & everything that goes with it to keep the check engine light off.

Your call Jim,

I would like to have a nice running MPI 2.5L MJ,

but not for all the work the OBDII swap needs.

I never really memorized the four cylinder stuff,

but I think the OBDI 1991's were MPI,

and alot less work to swap & keep Check Engine Light happy.

:D

A Throttle Body injected 2.5' will still be a dog after the rebuild.

Even with mods it probably still won't make the power of an MPI 2.5L.

But going OBDII in an MJ means the dash swap, GAS TANK SWAP & everything that goes with it to keep the check engine light off.

Your call Jim,

I would like to have a nice running MPI 2.5L MJ,

but not for all the work the OBDII swap needs.

I never really memorized the four cylinder stuff,

but I think the OBDI 1991's were MPI,

and alot less work to swap & keep Check Engine Light happy.

:D

But he has the '96.

Jim, if you want to play with a cam while you're swapping things around, I have a NIB factory Stage II cam kit. I was going to put it in my '88 MJ 2.5L, but now that I have a wife who doesn't drive standard and a daughter coming along who I'm sure also won't drive standard, I've decided to convert the MJ to a 4.0L automatic so we can all drive it (and I won't go broke buying clutches).

Lemme know if'n yer interested.

But he has the '96.

Jim, if you want to play with a cam while you're swapping things around, I have a NIB factory Stage II cam kit. I was going to put it in my '88 MJ 2.5L, but now that I have a wife who doesn't drive standard and a daughter coming along who I'm sure also won't drive standard, I've decided to convert the MJ to a 4.0L automatic so we can all drive it (and I won't go broke buying clutches).

Lemme know if'n yer interested.

Ah,

Thanks for pointing out the year Eagle.

I sometimes breeze over parts when I read,

I saw OBDII, and made the jump to 97-01's, without double checking the year.

Even though a 1996 conversion would mean less parts to swap than a 97+,

I'm still staying with my original " too much work" reply.

Partly because of the no return line OBDII tank,

but mostly for the countless 'bastard year' 1996 only parts involved.

Either way,

Good luck Jim!

jpnjim & ComancheCountry's got it right!

:agree:

Besides

Alla work for a few more HP? - Consider: After driving the Diesel he'll be able to jump in the 86 2.5 & go, Ahhh . . This is more like it! - - - Alla work for a code reader - for a guy with a seemingly love/hate thing with computers? - - come on . . . . come onnnn . . .

:thumbsup:

If it were me........ I get rid of both the '86 MJ and the '96 XJ and throw all that effort into a later model MJ...... which I'd imagine you have several of..... :D

The '96 swap into the MJ is going to reveal all kinds of headaches....

-Different firewall lay out - which means the harness bulkheads mount differently between the two versions. You'll have to do some sheet metal mods.

-Gas tank/fuel system differences.... yeah, that tank modification could be kinda troublesome. I know that the 4cyl to 6 cyl swap going from an '88 to '96 was a head scratcher and required a new tank without baffles to accomodate the '96 pump and fuel level sensor.

-Using the full wiring harnesses (engine compartment and cabin) will be necessary....... getting the fuel system and tail lights wired up is gonna take some thinkin' time and energy.