Looking At Lifted Xj Need Opinions

what brand lift? there are numerous ways to lift an XJ, some good, some downright dangerous.

fwiw, there's no way I'd buy someone else's 7" lifted XJ if I was looking for a daily driver. I'd much rather get a bone-stock grandma's grocery getter.

I've yet to see a DD friendly XJ with over 4.5" of lift. even 6.5" is pushing the DD friendly button too far.

My 87 with 6.5" of lift, damn near new motor bored .030 with a torquer cam in it, aw4, 35" tires, and 4.10 gears on d30/d44 could pull 22mpg highway....if I was very, very, very light on the pedal. so light that I'd be in people's way. 55-60 was fuel friendly. higher was not. in town was OK if I didn't let it go into overdrive.

Same lift and 33's, I could pull a solid 19mpg highway doing 75-80, and higher if I actually did the speed limit. around town was about 17mpg

Still not DD friendly IMHO. You should be able to get in and go at a normal pace and pull those MPGs. anything else, hopefully you've got plenty of time to get there, or a deep wallet.

Then your 2wd isn't running right, or you've got a lead foot. should be able to pull 20 all day. We pull 23-24 out of our 88 4.0/5speed/MT with 3" lift, 31" tires, 3.55 gears, and 260k on the motor, 280k on trans, 160k on truck, axles unknown. everything installed in it is bone stock and certainly not in the best of condition.

hey guys ive found a 1992 xj with a 7inch lift it has the 4.0 and auto. what are some things I need to look for or be catious of when i go look at the truck. with a 7inch lift would this be good for a dd or is itmainly trail with that much lift. thanks

Don't buy it.

First, it is NOT good for a daily driver.

Second, you can be almost guaranteed that whoever installed it butchered something, and you'll have to find it and fix it. If you're very lucky, it might be only one thing and not too expensive. More likely, it'll be a bottomless pit into which you throw money.

If you want a daily driver, buy a daily driver. Find one that hasn't been modified.

Then your 2wd isn't running right, or you've got a lead foot. should be able to pull 20 all day. We pull 23-24 out of our 88 4.0/5speed/MT with 3" lift, 31" tires, 3.55 gears, and 260k on the motor, 280k on trans, 160k on truck, axles unknown. everything installed in it is bone stock and certainly not in the best of condition.

I don't have a clue what's wrong with mine then, I have an 89/4.0/5speed/ 3.55 gears/ mt/ 31" tires/4x4/ 130k on motor, tranny 4" lift or so, and i'm doing good to get 17mpg, And i'd say it's in great mechanical condition.

When I did my xj it was a little over 7 inches of lift with 33's. It was my DD for about 4 years. Got about 15 mpg highway. But I would say not to buy it. If you want a xj over 4.5- 5 inches build it yourself that way you know what you have in it. If there are blocks in the rear walk away from it they are nothing but problems. Seen too many people break their springs and have drive issues with blocks