Interesting Parts Confusion

More proof that I got screwed on the 2011 XJ I bought for my daughter: Ball joints replaced, TREs and long sleeve replaced (can now adjust toe-in ... YAY!), and the steering is still vague and there are significant clunks emanating from under my feet as I drive it. Not much left -- obviously needs control arms.

Called the local dealer to order up a pair of Crowns, which I have bought from them before for the '87 MJ. Parts guy says "No listing." I'd like to support a small, family-owned dealership, but I'm not paying the price for factory parts. So I went away and did some shopping around and found a few sources, but it kept bugging me that Crown would have discontinued a part for the Cherokee (since the same exact part also fits the MJ and the ZJ, and I think even the TJ).

I noticed that some of the on-line places list one LCA for the Cherokee from 1984 thru 2001. Other places only list it up to 1996. Odd. So yesterday I called back and asked the guy to see if Crown still has the LCA listed for the '88 MJ. Sure enough, they do. Then he checked the Chrysler listing, and the factory shows the same part for all years, 1984 through 2001. So I ordered a pair.

Another lesson in Jeep parts buying. You have to know the vehicle, and don't necessarily blame it on the pothead behind the counter if he can't find a listing for you. It seems some of these aftermarket suppliers don't even know what their parts fit.

Needing a front pipe for the Purple People Eater (87 MJ, 4 cylinder) the computer came up with "not available". Had them look one up for an 87 XJ 4 cylinder and they had 2 in stock....

It gets worse when you start modifying your Jeep. Earlier this year I needed new brake pads for my rear disk brakes. I had the guy look up brake pads for a 1996 Grand Cherokee and got them off the shelf. Then he asked me if I bought another Jeep. I said no, they are going on my 87 Comanche. He then tells me they won't fit as he turned to put them back on the shelf.

Trust me, dude, on MY truck, they will fit just fine.

One of the joys of dealing with any of the parts chains is that they can't look up ANYTHING without entering the number of cylinders and whether it's 2WD or 4WD.

Taillight bulb? Fuse? Windshield wiper refill?

"Can't look it up if you don't tell me whether it's a 4-cylinder or a V-6"

Ummm ... right ...

I used to have that issue all the time with my Jeep in the main parts of the build. It got annoying real fast when I ask for a part and they look up the Jeep. Hell, I tell half of them that I'm looking for a part for an '86 Comanche and they flip through the makes confused trying to figure it out until I have to tell them it's a Jeep...

What I've found was the easiest way to check on interchange years is to just search Ebay for it. The majority of the postings will have the correct interchange years, just need to be careful as some will truncate the interchange years to just a specific generation.

One of the joys of dealing with any of the parts chains is that they can't look up ANYTHING without entering the number of cylinders and whether it's 2WD or 4WD.

Taillight bulb? Fuse? Windshield wiper refill?

"Can't look it up if you don't tell me whether it's a 4-cylinder or a V-6"

Ummm ... right ...

I always say I need a part for a "White Jeep Cherokee 6 cylinder 4x4." They give you a dumb look when you tell them the color. I don't search much for Comanche parts. Local parts stores, some guys never heard of a Comanche..