Changed Cps, Dodged Bullet

I went to change the CPS today because my truck sometimes has the classic symptom and cranking and not starting when warm. Got out about 1/2 mile of extensions with a univesal on the end and proceeded to remove the two 11mm bolts from underneath. The bolts were very tight and when applying torque, the socket slipped off the universal and disappeared. I didn't hear it land anywhere. Spent about thirty minutes dragging a magnet wand all around the area with no joy. Then I looked up there, and saw there was a cutout right under one of the CPS sensor bolts in the AW4 bell housing. Aw s%*t! Stuck the magnet as deep into the bell housing hole as it could go, again no joy. I removed the flexplate inspection cover hoping it fell through, the third no joy. Thoroughly POed at this point, I started the engine, immediately heard a brief little clink, then shut it off. The socket was laying on the floor. It came out of the bell housing where the inspection plate was mounted. No damage, no problem. whew.gif

Moral of story: Stuff a rag in that bell housing cutout hole near where the CPS is mounted BEFORE trying to change the CPS.

Thanks. Just saw that on Gojeep's site. And no, I do not have one on the tranny. I can't find it in my parts manual either. Any suggestions as to where I could find one or order one?

This is for the AW4.

MOPAR 52117660 - GROMMET, Timing Probe

$3.30 from the dealership if they have it in stock.

Page 490 of the combined 1997, 1998, 1999 XJ parts manual, #27 on the diagram.

Thanks Alexia. Now that you provided the part number, I found it in my 91-93 parts manual. Weird though, here's what it says:

53005129, 1, GROMMET, 1991 and below

52117660, 1, GROMMET, 1992 and up

Weird. It appears the part number changed in 1992. :hmm: Well, I'll find one - many thanks!

Oh man, you dodged a big bullet !! Hope you find one. A quick

search of ChryCo shows NLA. I bought one from Morris 4x4 a year

ago, but they no longer carry them.

Oconee Offroad has them, $4.10 shipped. :yes: says it'll fit the 91s, we'll see.

Funny, I just replaced the CPS in the'89 on Saturday, I was being extremely carefully but dropped the top bolt into the bellhousing. Same as you Don, magnetic pick up tool didn't work but when I unbolted the inspection plate I found the bolt at the bottom of the housing, very happy. My grommet is also missing, thanks for the availabiliy info.

Funny, I just replaced the CPS in the'89 on Saturday, I was being extremely carefully but dropped the top bolt into the bellhousing. Same as you Don, magnetic pick up tool didn't work but when I unbolted the inspection plate I found the bolt at the bottom of the housing, very happy. My grommet is also missing, thanks for the availabiliy info.

Will let you know if the grommet fits Mike. I see conflicting reports, but for a little over $4 it's worth a shot.

The Renix CPS is a direct plug and play for a later model HO AX-15 bellhousing, correct? No weird spacing changes, etc?

I doubt it. But without an exact model/year I'm not guessing. Getting tired of that.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Alexia. Now that you provided the part number, I found it in my 91-93 parts manual. Weird though, here's what it says:

53005129, 1, GROMMET, 1991 and below

52117660, 1, GROMMET, 1992 and up

Weird. It appears the part number changed in 1992. :hmm: Well, I'll find one - many thanks!

EDIT: The p/n 52117660 GROMMET does NOT fit the 91 and below AW4 CPS cutout. Do not order. If anyone has the CPS grommet (plastic cover) for a 91 or Renix AW4 lying around, sure would appreciate one.