Am207 On A Late 80's Setup??

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could take a 1985 AM207 off an automatic cherokee, and put in on either a 1990 ax-15 (and if possible, is it worth it), or on a 1987 pukey. Also, if it could be done, and is worth it (meaning it's not a POS), would I have to change DS length? Thx guys. Oh, PS, how do you tell what year a transmission is? Thx

The NP207 should bolt up to a Peugeot tranny (I think) but it won't work with an AX-15. It's not a great transfer case. The low range is not as low as the NP231 used from 87 through the end of XJ production, and the internal oiling is not as good.

Try it if you already have it, but I wouldn't seek it out if your looking to convert a 2WD into a 4WD.

No, basically, I have two comanches, and one 231 transfer case that I can fab/throw together between the two, and a guy on craigslist here is selling the 207 from an '85 4.0 cherokee with front driveshaft, for 60 bucks. So I figured if it would work, it's a hell of alot cheaper than finding a 231. If anybody knows, how come it won't mate up to an AX15? Thx

No, basically, I have two comanches, and one 231 transfer case that I can fab/throw together between the two, and a guy on craigslist here is selling the 207 from an '85 4.0 cherokee with front driveshaft, for 60 bucks. So I figured if it would work, it's a hell of alot cheaper than finding a 231. If anybody knows, how come it won't mate up to an AX15? Thx

mnkyboy beat me to it, but there was no 4.0L engine in any 1985 XJ. In 1985 it was either the 2.5L I-4 or the 2.8L V-6. Keep looking for a 1987 through 1989 231.

I'm assuming the 85 has the 2.8 V6. The owner probably thnks 6 cylinder = 4.0, not knowing the difference between the GM V6 and the Jeep straight 6.

Could be, but I have a fairly hard-and-fast rule against answering ads for Jeep parts from people who don't know what engine is in their vehicle.

Wow, that would be HILARIOUS!! And aggravating... Anyway, ok, so why only 87 through 89? Can't use post 89 231s?

Input shaft spline count. Jeep changed to the AX-15 5-speed in mid-1989. That changed the transfer case input shaft from 21 splines to 23 splines.

As to idiots --

A number of years a NAXJA friend from NJ contacted me about a 2000 XJ that was for sale in Connecticut at a very good price. He was interested in it for his wife. It happened to be at a small used car dealer near where I was working at the time, so I headed over after work to look at it. It was advertised as a 6-cylinder Sport.

It had some kind of decals on the side I had never seen before and have never seen since. Something about surfing. They were well-done and looked factory-ish, but I haven't ever found reference to a Cherokee surfer edition. The next clue that there might be a problem was that the instrument cluster was all idiot lights -- which meant it could not be a Sport. Sales drone came out, opened the doors, popped the hood ... and there sat a 2.5L I-4. I asked him if this was really the vehicle they were advertising, since it clearly wasn't a 6-cylinder. Now ... get ready, and DON'T have a mouthful of coffee ...

"This is the only Cherokee we have right now. I don't know what happened ... it had six cylinders when we brought it in here."

And then he proceeded to carefully inspect the driver's side of the engine, as if he expected to find two stealth spark plugs hiding under the intake manifold. But, even though it was NOT a Sport as advertised, and was NOT a 6-cylinder as advertised, they absolutely refused to lower their price. So I recommended to my friend that he pass, which he did.