First Vehicle.. Is A Commanche. Does Anyone Know Where To Find A New Fuse Block?

Hi guys, my uncle recently gave me my first vehicle. a Jeep Commanche :) You know, I kind of like it however, Ive never been able to drive it! lol

The power steering had leaked and shortly after my uncle replaced that he found that the steering fluid leak had pretty much turned the fuse block plastic to goo. A part seemingly as rare as the holy grail itself.

I was wondering if I could join the community AND find the part at the same time?

Depends on:

Year

Engine

Tranny (?)

Depending on what it has, find a suitable MJ donor (or XJ if another Comanche isn't a possibility) If it's the same as your own, and from an MJ, it should(?) be a plug and play deal; aside from wire splicing. :thumbsup: And, welcome to the madness! :cheers: :yes:

Power steering fluid does not come anywhere near the fuse block, it is only in the pump, the reservoir and the steering gear box, as well as the hoses in between. If it leaked on the fuse block and turned it to goo it must be a master cylinder leak for the clutch.

I got the replacement block for my 88 MJ form a 89 XJ Automatic. If you get one from a stick you run the risk of having similar issues. Plan on spending some time under the dash, on your back doing the replacement. I'm glad to have that job behind me. :wrench:

Just one M my man just one M, also welcome!

:MJ 1:

Oh man i messed that one up didnt i? :P

I suppose it could have been the master cylinder I'm honestly not sure.

OK i called, its an 88, 4 cylinder with a manual transmission.

Thanks for the replies btw guys.

So, my new question is, when i go to the junkyard tomorrow, could i use maybe a fuse box from a cherokee, CJ# Jeep Jeep or ??

Thank you Minuit

As i know very little about vehicles and am having a little bit of trouble finding most info on google. (am searching before asking. Scouts honor lol)

With my 88 MJ, does anyone know what range of years for XJ and MJ can be used to interchange parts?

Most parts for your 88 can be obtained from any pre-90 MJ or XJ but some parts are the same or compatable throughout the years of both vehicles. Generally speaking for your vehicle any part from the doors forward can be found from 87-89 XJs. Including that fuse box you need. Browse the MJ tech forum for a while and you can get a real handle on what exactly can and can not be swapped from year to year, heck even the DIY forum has a lot of that stuff in it, and several ways to add cupholders(a fine MJ art).

Most parts for your 88 can be obtained from any pre-90 MJ or XJ but some parts are the same or compatable throughout the years of both vehicles. Generally speaking for your vehicle any part from the doors forward can be found from 87-89 XJs. Including that fuse box you need. Browse the MJ tech forum for a while and you can get a real handle on what exactly can and can not be swapped from year to year, heck even the DIY forum has a lot of that stuff in it, and several ways to add cupholders(a fine MJ art).

87- 90 XJ will work. 1990 year model was Renix as well.