2.5 to 4.0 swap

That's great info, thx for the help everybody :thumbsup: Btw, I came up with a theory about how that crack formed, which goes like this: the PO, or the PPO perhaps, broke the TC's chain, which then slammed into the top of the cover, which created the crack, and also explains why it looked like it was bulged outwards. Also, the cover looks to be aluminum, which can be fixed/welded, but it would be a pain, not to mention that I'd have to replace the chain itself and anything else that was potentially damaged, so I'd like to know what people think concerning whether I should fix it or simply get another TC (possible upgrade). Having said that, how do you tell what TC you have, and what TC's are compatible with and desirable for the AX-15?

Oh, I forgot to ask, should I take the 4.0's front bumpstops and put them into the 2.5 (which will be getting the 4.0)? If so, how in the heck would I do that, there are no bolt/nut/screw heads showing or anything. If I don't have to that'd be nice too lol.

Oh, I forgot to ask, should I take the 4.0's front bumpstops and put them into the 2.5 (which will be getting the 4.0)? If so, how in the heck would I do that, there are no bolt/nut/screw heads showing or anything. If I don't have to that'd be nice too lol.

Jack the front end up, wheels hanging. The coils should separate enough to get a pipe wrench or LARGE channel locks on the top of the bump stop flange. They simply unscrew. Douche it down well beforehand with PB Blaster. You can pull out the old ones and insert the new ones through the coils with a little persuasion from a crowbar or tire iron.

Can anyone help me out with the transfer case issue? :( What I need to know is, is it worth fixing, and if so, where do I get parts like the chain, etc. Also, what tcases mate to the ax-15, and last of all, how to tell what tcase you have. Anyone??

I'm not like a T case pro, but i do know there is a nice tag right on the back of mine thats clean and clear. NP model 231. Just about any junk yard should have scads of cherokees and a few manches that have this Tcase mounted to the back of the same trans as yours. And id bet you can get em for CHEAP.

Thats what id do. Toss on another one. :)

I usually get my hard to find parts for transfer cases or axles from my local drive train shop, but when I needed a chain for my 231 I ended up getting it mail order from Morris 4x4 since an old acquaintance of mine works there.

Pretty much any Jeep 231 or 242 should bolt on, but depending on transmission the input shaft could be either 21 spline or 23 spline and one of three different lengths. If it came from behind an AX15 it should fit, if not you may have to swap the input shaft from your old one to the new one. Not 100% positive but I believe the input shafts will swap between a 231 and a 242, as long as you stay before 1994. They changed the cut of the gears in or after 94 and the shafts do not swap across the changeover year.

Have never had a 242 apart before, but a 231 is not really that complicated inside.

Edit to add that swapping to a 242 transfer case means you also have to swap the shift gate.

Thx for the help everyone, I kinda rely on you guys :bowdown: . So, update. Bought ANOTHER comanche :fool: . *Sigh. Like I need more projects. Bought this '87 for $325 and talked him down from $350. Came with 4.0 at 190k :ack: miles , black interior, seized tranny (though had replacement 5-spd in the bed), 4.5in backcountry lift kit installed, custom bumpers, bunch of steel and random stuff in the back, oh, and comes complete with roll damage. Apparently the PO hit a snow berm about 5 years back and flipped it on its side. The top of the cab is crunched and messed up, but I figure the lift alone (which I will steal and put on my current 2.5 to 4.0 conversion project) was worth the $325. My plan with this one, is to take the black interior, bumpers, lift, and axles, and put on my main comanche, and return this new one to stock. My 2.5's donor was a truck I got with no title, so what I figure I will do, is measure and cut the new one's damage off the top, and do the same with my donor comanche, which has a nice clean top. Then I will weld the top onto the new truck (I'm a superb welder if I do say so myself, though admittedly haven't done much with this thin of metal), clean it up, grind it down, and primer it. The point of buying and fixing this new one, is to take the running gear I want, fix it up into running/relatively nice condition, turn around and sell it, and hopefully recoup my losses into my 2.5/4.0 conversion/upgrade project. That way I can still say that my truck was free! (For those of you who don't know, I got my original, nice condition comanche for free, minus an engine). What do you guys think about my body work idea? Good, bad, sell for parts...? I'll take some pics when I go out there today (it's at dad's place).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Dash harness should stay the same, all you should need to swap is everything under the hood. You will also need the transmission cross member and transmission shifter from the Cherokee as well as the front driveshaft and the fuel pump (pump only, not the entire assembly). You will need to have your current rear driveshaft shortened. You should also (but don't absolutely need to) swap over the Cherokee brake pedal.

Dash harness should stay the same, all you should need to swap is everything under the hood. You will also need the transmission cross member and transmission shifter from the Cherokee as well as the front driveshaft and the fuel pump (pump only, not the entire assembly). You will need to have your current rear driveshaft shortened. You should also (but don't absolutely need to) swap over the Cherokee brake pedal.

• 10 months later...