Need Opinions about underhood heat.

I've noticed a lot of under hood heat coming from the 4.0L transplant in 35 Dollars, and I was considering installing these:

I had them in my Oldsmobile station wagon (Moby) after the installation of a '94 Z28 LT1, and noticed the same thing on it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=519&d=1074789943

They're from a K-Car with the turbo, and I built pans to go underneath them to direct water away from the engine. They really worked wonders on Moby to reduce heat - I'm wondering what you guys think.

Yes or No? Other ideas?

I fixed the problem they mentioned about the rainwater dripping down onto the engine by buying a couple of baking pans from WalMart, and affixing them to the bottom... and they're Teflon coated to boot!

I built a strapping system out of aluminum that really clamped them to the hood. Below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=520&d=1074789943

I just so happen to have an extra set of the louvers if anyone is interested in them - just pay shipping... One of them is a little beat up, but can be easily fixed up.

I fixed the problem they mentioned about the rainwater dripping down onto the engine by buying a couple of baking pans from WalMart, and affixing them to the bottom... and they're Teflon coated to boot!

I built a strapping system out of aluminum that really clamped them to the hood. Below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=520&d=1074789943

I just so happen to have an extra set of the louvers if anyone is interested in them - just pay shipping... One of them is a little beat up, but can be easily fixed up.

Do you have pictures of the top side of your install you could post? are the ones you have for sale the same as the ones you installed?

I guess you can't really see them well above.

They're not for sale, you can have them for the shipping cost.

Here's the pair I'm attempting to give away. They're gray in color, and one has a little damage to it, but not much.

Here are several more examples:

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoBonnetVents.htm

My first attempt at hood vents is the gray MJ with the ZJ factory vents installed about halfway down the page. They basically did nothing with the drip pans installed; w/o the drip pans they were marginally helpful. Hood vents just don't move enough air through the limited XJ/MJ underhood real estate. At least these did not.

Vents5.jpg

Eventually I found a Reflexxion cowl hood and installed it. Now this sucker (literally) really does work. Even sitting in traffic the heat pours out the cowl driven by the fans up front. Plus there's no noticeable H2O entry to worry about.

Here are several more examples:

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoBonnetVents.htm

Eventually I found a Reflexxion cowl hood and installed it. Now this sucker (literally) really does work. Even sitting in traffic the heat pours out the cowl driven by the fans up front. Plus there's no noticeable H2O entry to worry about.

On the windshield side of the cowl is is completely open?

I'm glad that I'm not crazy about the heat generated under the hood.

Then why did you ask the question??

On the windshield side of the cowl is is completely open?

No. There is a lip at the end of the cowl. It extends about an inch toward the windshield. There is also a slanted cowl baffle plate with many punched 1/2" holes slanted forward from the cowl lip to the hood base. It lets hot air out and keeps water out.

I did hood vents on my LJ Rubicon using the "exhauster" vent from the tailgate.

All you have to do is cut a hole that is 6"x6 1/2" and snap it in place. It seals and locks in place, and when the engine is off and the fan no longer moves air, the vent's flaps close and seal out water.

They cost like $17 at the jeep dealer

dscn6077r3ub.jpg

dscn5918r2kq.jpg

dscn6076r4sn.jpg

Well unfortunately for the rest of us a Reflexxion hood is not an option unless we pick one up used. They are nolonger available as the mold got damaged (rumor on the net) and they were not selling enough of them to replace/repair the stamp.

I did hood vents on my LJ Rubicon using the "exhauster" vent from the tailgate.

All you have to do is cut a hole that is 6"x6 1/2" and snap it in place. It seals and locks in place, and when the engine is off and the fan no longer moves air, the vent's flaps close and seal out water.

They cost like $17 at the jeep dealer

dscn6077r3ub.jpg

dscn5918r2kq.jpg

dscn6076r4sn.jpg

That's pretty neat. and would be pretty useful at stops or slow speeds. But i'm thinking at higher speeds when the air under the car goes faster then over and the pull through the engine compartment goes under the vehicle it would not pull air in, it would seal. I guess it wouldn't be that much of a problem because at that speed you're getting enough air in your engine compartment to cool anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... here they are!

Easy enough to put in, and they seem to have made a difference. It's been a long time since I put these in my Oldsmobile. Note to anyone who does this: be sure to use the largest drill you have (3/8", or so) and drill out all of the corners. I didn't on the last one, and have a small opening at one of the corners. Whoops!

Ron

I guess you can't really see them well above.

They're not for sale, you can have them for the shipping cost.

Here's the pair I'm attempting to give away. They're gray in color, and one has a little damage to it, but not much.

You still have these?