new seats ,buckets ?

oh, and you might want to snag the female ends of the seatbelts too. buckets have a sleeve that holds them up so they don't keep falling to the floor.

hopefully that's all the tips this time... :rotf:

Also get the console and the rear mounting brackets for it, it works without the rear brackets but it's kinda wobbly. When getting the console also get the black vent adapter thingy (routes air to floorboards and through to back seat in XJ) that it's attached to or nested in.

• 3 weeks later...
through 95. but avoid seats with the curved track unless you're short (they raise you up a few inches). and only 2-door XJs have seats that fold forward. :thumbsup:

Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but I've never heard of the "Curved Track" before. Been thinking a lot of converting over to some decent buckets.

Pic of curved track? :dunno: Not sure what the difference is here (aside from what Pete mentioned). I'm about 6'4, so this would be a bit of a problem. :yes:

EDIT: Nevermind. Solved my own question with a bit of searching. :doh:

through 95. but avoid seats with the curved track unless you're short (they raise you up a few inches). and only 2-door XJs have seats that fold forward. :thumbsup:

Actually the 1993 and below XJ seats are bolt-in for the MJs. The seats were redesigned in 1994 so using these in an MJ involves more work. Can be done of course but not bolt-in.

I suppose it's possible some of the 93 seats made it into the 94s, like a lot of things Jeep carried over. If your 96 has the same seat brackets as the 93 (or 94), I don't see how they were bolted to the 96 floor w/o mods because the bolt pattern was completely different.

The 94 seats bolted straight down. Actually, IIRC there were studs in the floor and the seat just used nuts. The 96 seats bolt front to back to a bulkhead on top of the floor in the front, and straight down into the floor in back. I think they are Torx bolts, but not sure of that and the vehicle is 20 miles away at the moment.

OK. I think I'm following this. I'm looking at some replacement seats from omix-ada (http://www.driveoffroad.com/rugged-ridge-13446-37/) that are supposed to be adaptable to 84-96 XJs. They come with some different bracket pieces but not true adapter plates. If you're interested download the installation manual and look at the last page. Of course, I'm wondering if they can be put in my MJ which has horrible bucket seats.

So I removed the MJ passenger seat and took off the bracket. So far so good. I compared it to the drawings that have been posted a bunch of times (early in this thread for example) and they look like a match. What is confusing to me is that my 96 XJ brackets are not at all like the ones in that drawing.

Now I can understand that these replacement seats could fit a bunch of different configurations of bracket since they come with hardware designed to adapt them.

Based on what I've read in this thread I'm thinking there is another style of XJ bracket that is not shown in the drawings? I just don't see one that looks like the one in my 96. (four door no power no heat)

If you can understand my ramblings this far you're doing well. My actual question is this...

On the seat bracket drawings, what is the difference between the XJ bracket (labeled 'straight') and the MJ bracket (labeled 'bucket')? And are the two examples of each of those supposed to be the same or are they different depending on the side of the vehicle?

I'll get these trucks figured out some day...maybe