Couple of ?? on an 87 & 89

We just picked up an 87 Base model. 2.5L/4 speed/2wd with out P/S or A/C. What should be the factory gear ratio & the factory tire size? We can't read the door sticker, it's faded out.

The 89 I have is a 4L/5 speed/2wd. I would like to know:

#1 What is this? It is on the fender behind the air box.

#2 What is this relay for? On the core support in front of the air box.

#3 Where is the fill plug on the trans.? Pretty sure it is the BA-10.

Thanks,

JIM.

The 87 probably has 4:10 gears and originally had 195/75/15 or 205/75/15 tires. To be certain, you need to check the differential for stamping or count the gears.The object next to the air box is the EGR solenoid and that plastic line runs to a nipple on the EGR valve under the the intake body. This vacuum line needs to be attached for your engine to run properly. I can't remember which side the BA/10 fill plug is on.

I believe the trans question refers to the second truck (with the 4.0L), which could be the BA-10/5 peugeot. :thumbsup:

requires a metric square tool. 10mm maybe? most of us just grind down something to fit. MAke sure you can undo the fill plug before you even think of taking on the drain. :yes:

With the 4 speed it would most likely have 3.55 gears, not 4.10. Stock tire size for it is most likely 205/75R15.

Correct.

And the transmission is an AX-4, not a BA-10/5.

???s are for two(2) different years of MJ s :thwak:

2.5L + 4speed manual = 3.55

2.5L + 5speed manual = 4.10

but the only way to know for sure is to check. either pop the cover or jack up one rear tire, put the trans in neutral and rotate that tire around twice while counting the driveshaft revolutions. (if for some reason the rear axle has a posi, then rotate only once)

just over 4 times = 4.10s

three and a half = 3.55

???s are for two(2) different years of MJ s :thwak:

Yes 2 different trucks. The 87 is in the top pic.

Here is the 89:

And before any body ask, I have cleaned it up since I took the int. pic.

Since I have a 5.5 day weekend I plan on changing the fluid in the trans. & rear ends of both. Also going to try to straighten the rear bumper on the 87.

JIM.