HELP!!!, stalling, overheating, not running right!!!

So i drove to the junkyard this morning, all was well, I leave, go to the gas station, turn the truck off for like 5 minutes, come out, start it up, go to reverse and it stalls, start it again and put it in first, stall. finally got the gas up high enough to where it didnt stall but it shook violently and acted like it was cutting out, died several more times trying to put it in first at stop lights before I limped it to Napa. Guy told me to change my dist cap and rotor, nothing, just changed the plugs yesterday. My fiancee had a job interview so i limped it back on the road, after first or second gear (cruising or highway speed) no problem. I'm seriously at a loss. Any help would be appreciated, I've heard this is a common issue with cherokees. maybe one of you knows. Also having a problem with the truck overheating, the resivour buble has expanded and almost cracked trying to get it home. Not sure if its only because i had to keep the gas so high? any ideas? :hateputers: :wall: :fs1: :headpop:

Ballast resistor may have a hair line crack, more heat equals more expansion , hard wire the two wires going to it and live with a slightly louder pump. The ballast resistor is by the air box on the inner fender

Ballast resistor may have a hair line crack, more heat equals more expansion , hard wire the two wires going to it and live with a slightly louder pump. The ballast resistor is by the air box on the inner fender

Would u happen to have a picture of it, and where would the wires be coming from?

Would u happen to have a picture of it, and where would the wires be coming from?

http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&so ... ih=356#p=0

update, tried everything yall suggested, still nothing, doesn't even want to start now. Then I found this on the bottom right side of the block. Wtf is it? The people at Advance had no clue. :mad:

87 does not have a ballast resistor.

Sounds like a timing issue to me (too far advanced) and a broken/disconnected knock sensor could definitely cause that.

Update: Installed new knock sensor, bwd. Installed new positive and negative battery cables, double checked all my grounds and fuses. Changed the fuel filter, don't think pressure is an issue cuz it shoots fuel really well. All the bolts on the tranny are tight too. :wall: I'm at a loss here :hateputers: It does idle normally nolw, thanks to the new knock sensor :clapping: but still dies when i press the clutch. :fs1: