Clutch fluid

OK. I used it in the brakes, and have some left over. And, I was going to use it in the clutch, so I don't have to buy more fluid. LOL! Yep, I'm a cheapskate!

Mike

The factory had issues with the original hose between the cylinders until 1991 IIRC. They were made for Castrol GT LMA as the cylinders were British. Even with the correct fluid, and worse if not, the inside of the hose deteriorated and introduced a white abrasive crap into the system. So, you could replace a leaking master and soon after you were replacing the slave, but then the new master didn't last long.

Factory solution was to replace master, slave, and hose all at the same time.

IIRC, the factory switch suppliers later on for replacement cylinders to Japanese which were fine.

The whole clutch system will be brand new! It is sitting here, waiting, on the bench. Clutch master and slave cylinder, line in-between, throw-out bearing, and clutch disk.

Any bolts, screws, gaskets, and seals will also be replaced, as needed.

I've got a little under a quart of Prestone DOT 3 synthetic fluid left. Will that be enough, or should I just order the Amsoil now?

Mike

I've got a little under a quart of Prestone DOT 3 synthetic fluid left. Will that be enough, or should I just order the Amsoil now?

Skip the Amsoil. Use DOT-5 silicone and stop worrying. It's non-corrosive and non-hygroscopic. And IF the master cylinder ever leaks, it won't eat up the fuse panel if it drips on it.

:eek: you got to replace that too :ack:

Yes the kit came with a pressure plate, throw-out bearing, clutch disc, master cylinder, and slave cylinder :D

Silliest looking slave I have ever seen, looks like a brake caliper piston assembly !

I might get around to installing this clutch kit one day ! !

I have some prestone DOT3 synthetic left over from when I did the whole brake system 4yrs ago so that's what it'll get for fluid unless 2/3Qt isn't enough than I will order up some amsoil brake fluid . . . If I gotta buy fluid I buy amsoil ;)

I bet once I switch over the AX-15 will require a whole new hydro system too ! ? ! ? !

Mike

I have some prestone DOT3 synthetic left over from when I did the whole brake system 4yrs ago so that's what it'll get for fluid unless 2/3Qt isn't enough than I will order up some amsoil brake fluid . . . If I gotta buy fluid I buy amsoil ;)

Mike

from what i have been told dot 3 fluid can go bad IF moisture gets to it, opened, used, then stored for years, and so on. but that's what i have been told and I haven't bought a large container in a while just small ones. next time i replace something dealing with the clutch i am swapping to dot 5 for sure

I bet once I switch over the AX-15 will require a whole new hydro system too ! ? ! ? !

Mike

I used the same hydro system for my AX-15, just a new slave clutch cyl.

Its synthetic, I was under the impression that it didn't break down.

Well I been using it to limp the dying system along so I may as well just get some new fluid than and play it safe I guess.

I really was hoping NOT to invest any more into this power train so much for that eh ?

All I wanna do is get my jamminz.gif AMC-V8 swap done :wrench: but something always comes up on me job lose due to down sizing, unforeseen bills or expense.

Such is life I guess I ain't giving up tho ;)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amsoil only carries DOT 3 and DOT 4. The local stores only carry DOT 3 and DOT 4 in the large containers. O'Riely's carries DOT 5 but only in small containers. So, I purchased 2 little bottles, that's all they had. According to the store manager, there is not much of a calling for DOT 5. Is 22 ounces going to be enough?

Now Weaver Auto Parts says they have a product called DOT 5.1. What's this?

While snooping around another parts store, I think it was Car Quest, I found a product in a similar bottle to brake fluid, called Hydro Clutch Fluid, apical to all hydro clutching systems. Anybody use this?

Mike

• 1 month later...