DSL Questions

bpm4x4

you really don't need the faster one unless you are downloading a lot of movies or games. but for only ten bucks i would say get the faster one. as for getting their other services, don't bother unless they offer better services then what you have now.

Alex

For that price, I would get the faster one. I much prefer Cable to DSL as I have used both and Cable is definitely faster, but if Cable is not available to you, then I guess it's a moot point. I pay $49.95 for my 10 Mbps Roadrunner.

How fast of DSL should I get?

1.5 Mbps for $31.99 or

7 Mbps for $41.99

I am thinking about getting the faster one, even though my computer is not that fast.

http://www.qwest.com/dsl/

I also found out that if I get other services through Qwest, I can save a little, is it worth it? :roll:

Is that 1.5 Mbps from ATT? Out here they had some kind of special from ATT with up to 1.5 Mbps at $14 per month. I also love cable over DSL, I had ATT DSL and I was down a month before I switched to Comcast. Granted $42 per month is much more than $14, but I also like when I call Comcast for help they all speak great english.

For that price, I would get the faster one. I much prefer Cable to DSL as I have used both and Cable is definitely faster, but if Cable is not available to you, then I guess it's a moot point. I pay $49.95 for my 10 Mbps Roadrunner.

You ever call RoadRunner tech support and get an aswer of

'thanks for calling (the) roadrunner(s) national helpdesk, this is colton, how may I help you?'

rest easy as its me, a fellow jeeper :D (I work for TWC at a call centre here in Canada)

'thanks for calling (the) roadrunner(s) national helpdesk, this is colton, how may I help you?'

rest easy as its me, a fellow jeeper :D (I work for TWC at a call centre here in Canada)

That's cool. Fortunately, I have not had to call for help since we got it over 5 years ago now :D . The only thing I have had trouble with was a modem that went bad.

That's cool. Fortunately, I have not had to call for help since we got it over 5 years ago now :D . The only thing I have had trouble with was a modem that went bad.

I know of some rep's from the tampa centres that take the fux0red modems and go skeet shooting.

Thanks for the replies, I found out that my computer needs some updating before I can make the jump.

AT&T said it was not available, but Qwest said it is, Qwest is my phone provider, so I should be able to get a deal by getting long distance, local, and internet on one bill (I am going to check into their directv service too, since I have that).

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies, I found out that my computer needs some updating before I can make the jump.

What upgrades do you need, and who told you you need them?

I've been making inquiries to AT&T (which is, I believe, the only option available to me where I live). So far I have had responses from three different people, and that means I have three different opinions (actually four, as one of them waffled when I asked a question about the initial message) regarding whether or not DSL will work with my computer.

Meanwhile, my IT friends all tell me it will work, and my computer at work is less powerful than what I have at home and that chugs along just fine on an AT&T DSL connection, so it's obvious that their techies in India or Pakistan or wherever they hide out don't really have a clue.

If you have win98SE and an Ethernet card or better.. (I.E. if you're computer runs ME, 2000, or XP) You can use DSL or cable. The main thing is the LAN card.

Remember to watch out for the contracts with DSL and the changing rates of Cable after 3 months. If you go with cable buy a modem please don't pay $10+ a month for a rental.

Have Fun!

What upgrades do you need, and who told you you need them?

I've been making inquiries to AT&T (which is, I believe, the only option available to me where I live). So far I have had responses from three different people, and that means I have three different opinions (actually four, as one of them waffled when I asked a question about the initial message) regarding whether or not DSL will work with my computer.

Meanwhile, my IT friends all tell me it will work, and my computer at work is less powerful than what I have at home and that chugs along just fine on an AT&T DSL connection, so it's obvious that their techies in India or Pakistan or wherever they hide out don't really have a clue.

I will ask more questions to Qwest, but my processor is too slow (I think).