Custom Bumpers

After lots of research looking over any and all fabricated bumpers I started templating my bumper out of cardboard. I wanted it to be unique and not just have a tube across the front. It has a receiver up front and I'm starting on the rear this week. Here's some pic's of the process... I did buy the frame reinforcements from jcroffroad, and had fitment issues with the steering brace. Link to Hosted photos.

8526274271_824ec7ccdf.jpg

8527388254_d368e7b441.jpg

8526275847_fdca12a405.jpg

8526276385_8b2449f34a.jpg

Fender Cut:

8526276995_2173d2e015.jpg

8526277809_abc29f9ea6.jpg

8527391356_e25250b619.jpg

8527392138_48edcd173d.jpg

8526279419_cea36fe165.jpg

8526280077_a6e92072c1.jpg

8527394014_87300b2b8a.jpg

8527394222_dc8f36b59c.jpg

Fitting the wrap templates:

8527393986_edf5ee6a33.jpg

8527394526_8c6444566f.jpg

wrap around welded:

8526280997_a3515f0992.jpg

8527386148_48a73e863e.jpg

need to fill in voids in welds prior to paint and finish. 8526281661_fae5a0ae6c.jpg

Will post pics once painted installed and then rears...

*edited to change title

looks good but why mount the D tabs down so low? seems like that would be an issue in some situations.

A few reasons. The first was so that the front of the truck didnt have a knee catcher. We thought that if the they were in use it would be during recovery, so them being lower would give it more lift.

but probably the biggest thing was when tieing them in to the brackets if they were welded to the face there would not have been enough room between the tab and the 2.5" tube to make a solid weld. I don't foresee them providing any clearance issues unless they'd snag on something, but if there were the case I think it would be beyond the capabilities of the truck.

looks good but why mount the D tabs down so low? seems like that would be an issue in some situations.

A few reasons. The first was so that the front of the truck didnt have a knee catcher. We thought that if the they were in use it would be during recovery, so them being lower would give it more lift.

but probably the biggest thing was when tieing them in to the brackets if they were welded to the face there would not have been enough room between the tab and the 2.5" tube to make a solid weld. I don't foresee them providing any clearance issues unless they'd snag on something, but if there were the case I think it would be beyond the capabilities of the truck.

Those are ledge grabbers for sure on rocks. There probably fine on soft terrain. Those will hamper a climb well before its beyond the rigs ability. Bumper does look good.

Those are ledge grabbers for sure on rocks. There probably fine on soft terrain. Those will hamper a climb well before its beyond the rigs ability. Bumper does look good.

I guess it's possible to snag on something. I'd say they're still higher then the ones on an arb winch bumper because of the angles and size. I plan to place the ones on the rear on the vertical as the hitch will protrude past the tabs. Although they may end up on the angle as well because i'm trying to figure out the best way to inset the license plate so it doesn't look like an after thought.

Fabing the rear bracket from pictures and fit. I made an 1/8" plate washer to make the mounting plate flush to the shackle bracket. used 2.5" 3/16" tube and 7"x3/16 steel i went past the 4th bolt to possibly weld a piece of angle to apply torsion on the frame or add a bolt in the oblong in the frame later if needed.

cardboard templates to transfer the holes to the steel used ball peen hammer to transfer.

8526288479_c7286217d3.jpg

8526288051_f2b15bdb00.jpg

primed

8527399468_b34765e771.jpg

8527400238_a44174aa6e.jpg

8527400574_a616ca6c87.jpg

passenger side installed. 8527402796_5402b6dd24.jpg

**edited to change photo host

Fantastic work man. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing how the rear one comes out! I would have to agree with those d-ring tabs hanging down really low but if it works, it works. Great work

RockMJ

The one thing I've decided though is that cardboard is great for transfering bolt lay outs, but horrible for making true templates. It needs to be something a bit more rigid. Although I guess having to grind an 1/16 to an 1/8" off for clearance isnt bad. The spot that upset me the most though is the bottom of the rear bracket, I had followed the entire shackle bracket, but then when it was made into steel the taper is off, I guess I could have screwed up when cutting with the plasma, but I made changes for the driversside template.

Got the driverside bracket made and installed... Much cleaner then the passenger. The driverside is presentable. It even bolted up easier. Now I start on the bumper itself. 90 degree days in scalding sun is worse then dealing with rain and wind :( The steel gets so hot just sitting in the sun everything gets handled with welding leathers.

8526289989_ae8b86590c.jpg

8526290429_0bc17be76d.jpg

8526291037_f87955e95f.jpg

8527404924_00a6f2216a.jpg

Rear bumper all welded... Only grinding, maybe some fill welds, and painting. Will of course post pics of the whole truck once installed as requested.

no the bumper doesn't float. :) They were rotated as it was easier to turn the picture then flip the bumper.

end profile

8526292049_3714c8b8f4.jpg

8526292759_80d20fcfcc.jpg

8527407340_5c28c8902b.jpg

8526293995_7bedd63cbb.jpg

Bumper got a nice look to them.

use a thicker coregated cardboard and templates will match in size better next time.

Style and shape of bumpers is great, just don't dig how low front tow hooks are and the rear license plate has same issue for me. That license plate will be toast if you actually wheel the truck. It just seems clearanc for real world wheeling was the afterthought.

beautiful bumpers and fab work all the same buddy. Maybe ill see you on the trail in browns camp sometime!

Bumper got a nice look to them.

use a thicker coregated cardboard and templates will match in size better next time.

Style and shape of bumpers is great, just don't dig how low front tow hooks are and the rear license plate has same issue for me. That license plate will be toast if you actually wheel the truck. It just seems clearance for real world wheeling was the afterthought.

beautiful bumpers and fab work all the same buddy. Maybe ill see you on the trail in browns camp sometime!

the front plate is just zip tied to the front cowl right now. I plan to make a bracket that fits in the receiver. Then when i get around to making the winch bracket i'll make some sort of dual purpose connection so i could leave the winch in the front and attach the plate to it too. The rear plate is sunk into the rear bumper and the exhaust pipe comes out below the plate. I guess you could say clearance was an afterthought because I was designing them to conceal the tubes for my hitch and winch as well as the looks were more in the design then rock crawling clearance. I don't ever plan to go bigger then the 31" tires that are on it now...

I know the front tabs are low, but when compared to the approach angle of my bumper vs an arb winch bumper i've got a more vertical angle. My brother has the arb bumper on his xj. I also wanted to be able to push some one with out gording their rig.

I think I even used some of your bumper work/photos for ideas. You have the grey truck with the dimpler and the rock guards that wrap up after the door, I think you welded them to the truck and were selling that awesome rear bumper, but you'd cut into the bed right? If I"m thinking right your lines and pieces were cut a hell of a lot better then mine, I free handed all the cuts with a plasma and don't have a metal break so each angle is a cut piece welded at the angle.

I don't know if I'll drive up to browns for awhile with the comanche. My brother still lives in portland and we've been using the corolla when we go with gas prices the way they are.

really like that rear bumper

Thanks

I have my rear license plate on a bracket that slides in reciever hitch now, works great. Your bumpers (especially rear corners) look great and have a cool shape to them. I like that you took the time to add some shape/style to them. Ya, on my rear we used a band saw to cut the pieces out so grinding was less than with a plasma. The reason I mentioned thicker carboard is because with thin cardboard the templates always end up to large.

I didn't end up selling the rear bumper, so I'm actually still running it and the bed. I tossed the bed I bobbed.

I have my rear license plate on a bracket that slides in reciever hitch now, works great. Your bumpers (especially rear corners) look great and have a cool shape to them. I like that you took the time to add some shape/style to them. Ya, on my rear we used a band saw to cut the pieces out so grinding was less than with a plasma. The reason I mentioned thicker carboard is because with thin cardboard the templates always end up to large.

I didn't end up selling the rear bumper, so I'm actually still running it and the bed. I tossed the bed I bobbed.

Well i really do like your rear bumper probably more then mine, i really liked the wrap on it, I just didn't want to cut my bed up and by the time i cut it up and lowered the ends, it probably would have been too low hence why I didnt wrap my rear. .... Well I'm glad you're still running it though. It really is nice and if you'd a sold it they probably wouldn't have appreciated the amount of work into it. I'm debating on doing sliders. About how much do you think your sliders weigh or about how much material did you use. What gauge tube did you use.. I'm also looking into a custom bull guard too. although i think painting the entire truck is more important.

Would you be willing to make another rear bumper for a fellow member? Hmmm :D ? I really love the look man, super sexy

RockMJ

If you were more local so you'd be helping probably. But to be honest i don't have any sort of connection on steel so i have about 325 in steel for front and rear, and all the wire and gas. my guess is i probably paid over 200 per bumper in materials by the time i account for the grinding wheels etc. Freight would probably be expensive too.