--- COMANCHE OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2012 ---

This month we have a member that has one of the bigger undertakings MJ-wise running on the side. Enjoy.

----SIRSAM's 1988 JEEP COMANCHE----

MJ210.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR

Comanche Longbed 1988 MY

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

Factory new 2002MY VM Motori 2.5L common rail turbo diesel (R425) ~140hp/250ft lb TQ.

DRIVETRAIN:

2.5 CRD turbo diesel engine

2001 NV3550 5 speed transmission engine

2007 Wrangler JK Dana 44 front axle (4.10 gearing and electronic locker)

2004 KJ NV/NP242 transfercase

96+ Ford Exploder 8.8 (4.10 LSD) Rear Axle.

COOLING:

Stock 4cyl radiator planned - if insufficient cooling then upgrading to something else.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Frankenstein combination of 2001 XJ body wiring, 2002 KJ diesel EFI, and 2002 KJ BCM.

Drive by wire APPS from 97-01 XJ diesel.

2002+ TJ PCI bus Gauge cluster(97-01 XJ cluster is CCD bus not compatible with PCI data bus)

STEERING:

Stock steering box. Fraken WJ/JK everything else.

SUSPENSION:

2" front coils, adjustable upper/lower control arms. Stock rear leafs + AAL.

INTERIOR:

97+ XJ dash/interior conversation. Agate only. 2001 XJ limited heated leather seats.

BRAKES:

Stock JK front, stock Ford rear disk.

LIGHTING:

Stock rear lights, Jeep 2500 front headlights, Jeep 2500 projector beam foglights.

WHEELS/TIRES:

16" Silverstar OEM wheels.

245/75/16 Treadwright "aka all terrrain" retreads, Load range E

MISCELLANEOUS:

Jeep 2500 front end conversion

2002-2004 Jeep liberty KJ diesel engine conversion

97+ interior conversion

Camper shell

Best MJ story

Not many MJ stories to share, bought an MJ for my project, drove it very little, battery slide into the alternator and the cooling fins ate a hole in it. Acid everywhere, decided it was time to strip it down for the project. Been in pieces ever since.

What owner loves best about CC

The dedication MJ owners have to our special Jeeps.

PICS!

When I first got it:

MJ2.jpg

MJ6.jpg

MJ8.jpg

MJ14.jpg

MJ15.jpg

MJ16.jpg

MJ17.jpg

MJ18.jpg

MJ19.jpg

Engine and wiring mess:

MJ23.jpg

2500 lights arrived:

MJ38.jpg

MJ39.jpg

MJ44.jpg

Diesel bell housing, NV3550, NP242 bolted up:

MJ79.jpg

MJ83.jpg

Some rust:

MJ115.jpg

MJ133.jpg

Engine bay stripped/cleaned:

MJ138.jpg

First of many test fits of motor:

MJ144.jpg

Motor finally mounted:

MJ193.jpg

MJ196.jpg

First testfit of 2500 header panel/lights/fenders. Fender are crap and can't use be used, header panel with modified US fenders is the way to go.

MJ210.jpg

MJ209.jpg

First testfit of 97+ dash....promising!

MJ257.jpg

Second-millionth fitting of dash. steering column bracket in place, upper and pivot dash mounts in place, tranny tunnel dash mount still needs to be done.

MJ258.jpg

Firewall 97+ HVAC box mod done:

MJ269.jpg

MJ brahma top installed:

MJ272.jpg

MJ273.jpg

What's next:

-Finish interior conversion metal work(97+ seat bracket, firewall steering column mods, ebrake mount, and 97+ door latch mods).

-Por-15 interior, quiet-car soundproof interior. Repaint cab red with white roof. New windshield, install doors.

-Finish transmission mount.

-Engine bay wiring mountup/harness stripdown and integration.

-Testfire engine.

-??????????????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James, you are a staple of the Comanche Club. Your Jeep flipping prowess is something to be envied. The ability to take something that was wrecked, deemed a total loss, written off, and put it back on the road takes some skill. Especially with that rolled CRD KJ... Deskinning the whole roof, patching all of the affected panels... Amazing. Your diesel MJ project is one I would love to try to accomplish one day. All the niceties of a late model with the oil burning power of Rudolph Diesel. How about all those photos? Making all us flat landers jealous of your backyard... You have some of the greatest photos, with incredible views. You are always willing to share your knowledge or input with a member in need. This is why you are a great member to honor for MJOTM.

Congratulations on your MJOTM.

Rob :cheers:

It's gonna be super nice Sam if you can ever find the time to work on something for yourself. :D I've wanted to do a diesel MJ for years using the Benz OM617 and AX-15. One of these days.........

Great to see you get the April MJOTM Sam. Well deserved and one of the most well-rounded knowledgeable members on our forum. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing, good luck. Can I ask where and how you got the 2500 front end? I worked in China for 5 years and seen those things everywhere. Cool as all get out. Also seen some other odd ball jeeps while i was there. Maybe ill post some pics of them.

Amazing, good luck. Can I ask where and how you got the 2500 front end? I worked in China for 5 years and seen those things everywhere. Cool as all get out. Also seen some other odd ball jeeps while i was there. Maybe ill post some pics of them.

We did them as a collective group buy on the parts from a company in china that now appears to be out of business, as far as I know no one else has been able to import any since then.

this is the most recent incarnation of the cherokee in china:

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/BAW_S12/

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic