rocketwheels "Sgt.Rock" Comanche....

Finally picked up the $200 Comanche I bought back in October, got it cleaned up and everything working, still having the clutch/slave cylinder issues. Since the Clear coat and paint is toast, I surfed the web and found the "paint-by-number" diagrams used by the US Army to camo paint their vehicles including a diagram for pickups. I've got the front clip painted up to the window post and the tail and wheels finished, just need to remove the cab fairing and scrape some loose Sportruk decals off to finish the paint job on both sides . The cab fairing has a mounting positions for factory option Bosch 100W driving lights, but years of vibration caused them to break out, lights are still good but will have to get some plate steel cut x2 to sandwich the fairing for new mounting holes, will also get some smaller driving lights for brush guard mounts. Long term, looking for 5.5 or 6 inch lift and 33's to 35's buckshots or similar. Will be using this truck only as back up bad weather vehicle (I ride a yami Vstar to work daily) and for pulling a firewood trailer across pastures and possible a boat to the lake. won't be a daily street driver.Here is a pic on the ride home....will get the Camo pics soon....

http://public.fotki.com/rocketwheels/st ... 02221.html

...it fits the shoulders of the rear fenders as if it was made for it. I guess it may be a Comanche specific aftermarket item installed by our local dealer along with the Bosch lights. The brush guard may not be factory either, I wouldn't know. Check the other pics in my folders at the Fotki site (use the link above to get there) there are a few more pics of the truck in the chicken shed where it sat for several years....

It's a fastback. I do believe. And uh, it ain't no rollbar. Unless you really like a squished cab.

ive seen one EXACTLY like it on an old style (manche rip off style) dakota with the shelby emblems on it.

i think it was a dakota package, probly would swap right on from a dak. they're straight rip offs just about.

..."I surfed the web and found the "paint-by-number" diagrams used by the US Army to camo paint their vehicles including a diagram for pickups"...

"Care to share this link? Sounds interesting"

sure, here are 2 different ones, one shows a full size Chevy, the other a full size Dodge

this one comes in as a .pdf file

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/m880_camo.pdf

this one has both the 3 color and 4 color versions as seperate links

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... uflage.htm

...thanks Pete! I still can't figure that out. I put the thing around it...is it supposed to have the _url part added to the end also?

BTW , the front lenses (except headlights) will be camo-ed out like the rear tail lights, should have it ready by Monday!

..."did you put a base coat of green over everything, then paint ..."

...nope, just doing each color in the pattern as i get to it. From 5 feet away it looks great, from 2 feet it looks like crap.It has been really cold while I'm painting, paint is trying to sag in places, plus I couldn't get the remnants of the stickers off, so i just scraped them with a window razor to knock the loose edges off. It's a $200 truck, it will look good enough!