Opinion on 93 F150 flareside

kyleag89

A guy down the street from me is selling a 93 Ford Flareside 4x4 auto with the 5.8L and 130K miles. It has a hard bed cover that lifts, brand new cat, and flowmaster muffler. Nice chrome wheels with newer 33" tires. It looks like it was well taken care of. It had small rust holes above the wheel wells but has been fixed and painted, from 5 feet away this truck looks perfect. I don't know much about these trucks so I am looking for any info on them. What to look for etc.. He is asking 3k but would prolly take less.

So you think 2,500 would be too much for a super clean truck?? I am not worried about gas as it will only be used for work hauling and towing. I have been searching CL for a week and haven't come across anything that sticks out. I really want a Chevy 1500 or 2500 but people around here ask A LOT for them.

Talked to this guy here and might consider this:

http://westmd.craigslist.org/cto/2874032856.html

Yer never gonna pass a gas station with that 351. Look for truck with a 300-6. I got high teens for mileage with my 95 F-150 4x4 shorty with a 300-6 and a 5-speed.

Believe it or not, that 300-6 was not that bad of a engine for pulling. I used to haul Jeeps around all the time with it.

Thanks for the input guys. The only trucks I'm finding for sale right now are 302s, 351s, and 460s :eek: .. I might just settle for a clean f150 302. It won't be my main driver as the MJ has the DD duty. comanche.gif

just saying that I've used trucks with the 5.0/4.6L range of v8 and have been disappointed every time. :( the 4.6 in my uncle's truck was the worst. it was slow when empty and just plain scary with a little under 3k pounds in and behind it. :ack:

just be sure to get the FI 5.8. the older carbed version is atrociously fuel hungry.

I towed my XJ quite a bit with my 5.0l.... its not the motor.. the gearing sucks in a factory set-up.

3.08's or 3.55's are normally the stock gears. With the towing package it may have gotten 3.73's. Even that jump makes a huge improvement over the other two.

You want to define suck... try towing with 2.72's... That's bleh covered in bleh..

We've got an injected 351 in our 94' 4x4 F250, besides for a TPS sensor, nothing has failed on the engine. Clutches are a different matter, two in one year and about to get a third (the old man likes taking off in second and ride the clutch)....its got 220K on it and runs awesome, burns just a tad bit of oil but nothing out of the ordinary for the mileage. Plenty of parts in the yards for them too.