Repainting the Valve Cover soon...

Zenobian_84

Long story short, I put on a cheap-o cork gasket for the valve cover, and it worked for a few months, but has been leaking slowly but surely. Sometime this week, I'm swapping in an all rubber gasket, and I was going to be repainting the valve cover. I have 2 reasons though. 1: To make my 2.5 look more appealing (and easier to spot oil leaks); and 2: Because I'm also going to paint the AMC logo + corresponding stripes their respective colors. :brows:

Did some Googlin', and I found the color choice I want to repaint the cover. Nice 72' Javelin engine bay. :eek:

Yes, I know I don't have a 360 powerplant under the hood (if only... :yes: ) but I've always like that shade of blue. Problem is, I don't know what it's called. Any of you well endowed old timers (or just very knowledgeable people) know what color that is "Technically" called (and where I could possibly buy that particular shade of engine enamel)? It's also worth noting that my cover is the original plastic one (for paint purposes). Unfortunately, I wish I had a fancy cast iron like most others around here do. But, I have to make due with what I have. :(

I both hate and don't understand why people would ever paint things like that a completely opposite/unmatching color.

duplicolor makes color match paint...match it to your motor vehicle color and call it done with a nice clean look.

also, if yours is a renix 4 cylinder...ditch the plastic valve cover in favor of the 91+ aluminum ones

I both hate and don't understand why people would ever paint things like that a completely opposite/unmatching color.

duplicolor makes color match paint...match it to your motor vehicle color and call it done with a nice clean look.

also, if yours is a renix 4 cylinder...ditch the plastic valve cover in favor of the 91+ aluminum ones

The original color was black with white lines. I don't like the color of the valve cover. That's why I don't want to repaint it black; it's fine that you don't feel the same, but seriously, all I wanted to know was the color in my original post. I can do without all the rest of the comments.

To put it blunt: It's my truck, and if I don't want to do what everyone else does, than that's my choice.

As for my valve cover, it's leaking because of the gasket. Not because it's warped. It may be plastic, but it's been reliable so far. If I need to upgrade, I'll go get an aluminum one.

" Chrysler " blue , Duplicolor / Plasticoat engine enamel over Fusion plastic primer :thumbsup:

Thanks Vaquaro, appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Bingo, it's a very cheep upgrade that will last ALOT longer. But I do think of the color blue is gonna look friggin sweet.

Brandon

I've passed buying vehicles I'm looking at because people put personal touches like hideous colors that don't even match the vehicle all over. Always a good idea to keep what you do in mind just in case you do ever have to sell it.

I've passed buying vehicles I'm looking at because people put personal touches like hideous colors that don't even match the vehicle all over. Always a good idea to keep what you do in mind just in case you do ever have to sell it.

Advice noted, mostly from personal experience. But then again, I wouldn't, and haven't passed on a good vehicle just because of some crude "personal touches" that people have added to their vehicles. Not trying to bust your chops, just adding my own .02.

Whenever someone posts a question like "what color should I......blah" or similar, you get a bunch of crap opinions. Unless you're insecure and can't make a decision, just do as you want, it's your rig, who cares what others think. Do what's right for you, don't ask, because you will get overloaded with crap that really doesn't matter.

One suggestion though on the cover, get it powder coated in the color of your choice, not paint. It will look better, and last a whole lot longer. :cheers: