Harmonic Balancer Replacement

The HB in my 4.0 cherokee gave up the ghost today (1 hour from home). I just replaced the fan clutch last week and the HB looked good, didn't take but 70 miles though before the rubber popped out, plus there is a nice gouge in the timing cover too. I tried replacing it away from home. Heck, I even replaced the front main seal, but after several hours of fighting it I threw in the towel and had to get a ride. I would have been back on the road in no time at all, but the new HB doesn't fit (never buy a dorman). I compared this one against my old HB with a set of junk calipers and there is a notable difference in inside diameter. Definitely a bummer, going to go HB shopping tomorrow and hopefully find one that wasn't made in china. What a POS, why sell a balancer for a jeep if it doesn't fit a jeep? The part number is right, but the fitment is poor. Looks like I get to waste an hours worth of gas driving back to my jeep with a better part :headpop: Since this is more or less just venting, I guess I should have posted in the Pub?

I had a friend who had the same problem with the Dormans. The ID was too small. We went to three different parts stores and measured with calipers. They were all too small. Finally put a used factory one on. Seems the Dormans can be hit or miss.

Mine came from Oreilly's and was a Dorman, no problems. You got the wrong part.

The box said it was for a jeep I6 4.0 and several other engines (but I don't remember which ones). I've swapped several of these over the years and it sure looks exactly like the one that came off ;) I'm sticking with my conclusion that it is the correct part, but incorrectly machined. There are numerous references on NAXJA regarding inconsistencies with not just Dorman, but other after market dampeners as well. I did pick one up from Jeep this morning and it fits like a glove :D Back on the road again!

i used a professional products one and it fit fine.sometimes you just need a harmonic balancer installer tool instead of a bfh.also theres not much room to tap the balancer on in front of the jeep.i've also used dorman balancers at my shop on many different vehicles and haven't had a problem with the fitment.