Clutch Line

I try to avoid dealerships as they have such a high markup but that price is the norm for a Hydraulic line. Every once in a while they are reasonable but not too often. Usually the sop for dealerships is drop your pants, bend over and walk in backwards.

Thanks for the info.

Oh I agree with ya about that offshore junk. Recently I had clutch issues and I went to Oreillys for a master and slave. Not to save money but because they were the only ones in town that had em in stock. Well lets just say after installing and returning 4 masters AND 4 slaves I will never again buy any parts from them. That was the biggest pain in the @$$ ive ever dealt with.

I made one out of brake line. Took a 3 foot chunk of the corrected size line, 1/4" IIRC, and ran it down to the slave from the master. I put a few curly Qs in it. works mint. About 7 bucks invested.

Until it breaks. :/

Great idea for temporary use; really is...but I again stress the rubber hose portion is there 'for a reason'.

I made one out of brake line. Took a 3 foot chunk of the corrected size line, 1/4" IIRC, and ran it down to the slave from the master. I put a few curly Qs in it. works mint. About 7 bucks invested.

Until it breaks. :/

Great idea for temporary use; really is...but I again stress the rubber hose portion is there 'for a reason'.

:agree: I've heard from a few sources that is not a good idea long term. It needs that flex for the pressure and for the engine/trans movement.

:agree: I've heard from a few sources that is not a good idea long term. It needs that flex for the pressure and for the engine/trans movement.

It needs to flexable for the engine/trans movement the pressure has nothing to do...

I am pretty sure it should be the same clutch line as an 87 so check for that and I know Rock auto has them available from 87+

86 2.5s were external slave. 87-94 2.5s were internal slave.

I am pretty sure it should be the same clutch line as an 87 so check for that and I know Rock auto has them available from 87+

86 2.5s were external slave. 87-94 2.5s were internal slave.

Good to know... I did not have a chance to look up the Parts sheet however the Mopar Parts Listing says the Line is Shared from 84-88 so I am sure it is close enough to make work...

Not that this is the greatest idea, but it does work. Mine has been this way for months.

Not that this is the greatest idea, but it does work. Mine has been this way for months.

Yep, I don't see the problem. What the difference in your brake lines themselves? Look at a truck with a real frame. (nothing dirogitory (?) here obviously), they run brake lines off the master which is mounted to the body, to a prop valve mounted on the frame. Now go wheeling in that truck, specially if its a ford, watch how much the body moves around. I know the engine and trans move around quite a bit, but I cannot imagine enough to stress the line that much to see it fail. Guess Ill find out!

My local auto parts store could not get a line, and usually if they cannot get it, it can't be got. But now I see, maybe I shoulda checked the computer. :fs1:

Yep, I don't see the problem. What the difference in your brake lines themselves? Look at a truck with a real frame. (nothing dirogitory (?) here obviously), they run brake lines off the master which is mounted to the body, to a prop valve mounted on the frame. Now go wheeling in that truck, specially if its a ford, watch how much the body moves around. I know the engine and trans move around quite a bit, but I cannot imagine enough to stress the line that much to see it fail. Guess Ill find out!

My local auto parts store could not get a line, and usually if they cannot get it, it can't be got. But now I see, maybe I shoulda checked the computer. :fs1:

You do have a good point on body flex; but from what I gather body flex is more so a twisting motion on the lines, rather than an actual bending which can occur from the twisting of a motor in the mounts. That's just an educated(retard) guess; but I 'have' seen them break several times when I used to work in a Jeep shop. It's a temporary fix in my eyes.

I'd order one online, I'm just trying to save you the hassle of a bad occurance one day, ya know?

Unfortunately they're not the same. The correct line, p/n 53004247 is specific for XJ/MJ 1985-1986 years only.

Unfortunately they're not the same. The correct line, p/n 53004247 is specific for XJ/MJ 1985-1986 years only.

Yes Thanks I looked it up after Pete Mentioned that the 86 was External Slave But I also said that it will be alot easier to make the 87 line work rather then Having nothing at all

When I actually Look up that Number MOPAR Used it from 84-88 so it is out there for Other MOPAR vehicles as well...

And this #53004247 is available Here:

MOPAR lists one US dealer that has this Line in stock so if you go into your local dealer they can order it in from this dealer

LAYTON HILLS CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP LAYTON UT USA Phone: (801)-544-5800 / (800)-944-3133

Online you can still find the line Here:

http://oemmoparonline.com/catalog/produ ... s_id=48361

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 04247.html

http://www.parts.com/parts/1986/JEEP/CH ... IC%20LINES

You do have a good point on body flex; but from what I gather body flex is more so a twisting motion on the lines, rather than an actual bending which can occur from the twisting of a motor in the mounts. That's just an educated(retard) guess; but I 'have' seen them break several times when I used to work in a Jeep shop. It's a temporary fix in my eyes.

I'd order one online, I'm just trying to save you the hassle of a bad occurance one day, ya know?

Yes I do agree that its kind of a HACK fix. I will probably NOT do this to my DD MJ. I did this on my plow truck which never will leave the yard. But still, with good motor mounts I still cannot see how the engine/trans would flex more then a body. Horse a piece. When it fails I will find this thread and thank you for warning me! :cheers: