'86 MJ XLS project

Picked this up over the weekend. '86 MJ XLS with a 305ci SBC swap. This was my grandfathers out in TX some years ago. The V8 swap was done so he could to a large camper with it. When he got to a point that he couldn't drive anymore the truck sat for a few years. Them my younger brother (18 or so at the time) needed a vehicle and started driving it. Took it to Tulsa where he went to welding school. Then he got another vehicle and the truck sat for another few years. Turns out some punks stole the intake and carb off it a few years back so it hasn't ran in over 2 years. Been literally sitting in a field for the past 3 years. Well, my grandfather has since passed a couple years ago and I lost my younger brother last summer as well. To keep the truck in the family I took it before it completely went to waste.

I trailered it home and looked it over. Tires are in great condition, interior is poor at best. Broken window cranks, broken passenger window, carpet is horrible, the lights behind your head on the b-pillars are falling out, no radio, cracked dash, etc. The body however, is excellent save the paint for its age. I have seen trucks 20 years newer in worse shape as far as dents go.

Anyway, plan is to get it running and drive it for a while as a beater. Use it to cut fire wood, run to Home Depot, haul my four wheeler etc. Then I can sell my Avalanche and get a Challenger! Eventually I hope my 8 year old will drive it for his first vehicle! We will see about that though.

Here are a couple pics:

Took some more pics and tore into the motor to see what I am working with. Worse than I originally thought but still not as bad as it could be.

Here are some misc pics of the truck:

Red interior

Only 142k miles!

No intake or carb

Driver side head removed

One cylinder has some rust. Seems to be surface only. Gonna try to clean it up a little and see.

And thats as far as I have got to date. Gonna work on it some this weekend. I will post some more pics as things progress.

Awesome, awesome truck. Makes me glad seeing the 80's in all its decked out glory. That interior is wicked nice! :clapping: Also, you got a better shot of the hood? I've been looking for a good picture the '86 4x4 stripes. Will definitely be following this build. :popcorn: