Getting the MJ painted. Opinions?

Hey guys, well I am going to be keeping my Comanche after all and with my tax return I'm looking to get the Jeep painted. My ultimate goal is to restore my MJ back to its original glory with some modern technology throw in the mix. A nice blend of the old and new schools of thought. Being as my Jeep is a Pioneer originally I am going to be adding the correct decals to the body in a dark charcoal/silver two tone color.

Back to my original thought. My Jeep was originally a dark charcoal color from the factory and I'm debating between having it painted the factory original color or having it painted Jeep's Silverstone Metallic. I'm leaning a bit more towards the silver but I'm torn because I really want a factory correct rig body and paint wise. Thoughts?

RockMJ

I totally understand. I do plan on lifting the Jeep, but everything will be done tastefully. If it turns out how I have it pictured in my head, its going to look nice. I think I am going to have it painted the factory original gray. That will keep me from having to paint the door jams, etc.

RockMJ

Hey Rockmj, glad to hear you are keeping it and hope to meet you in person someday. Mine is an 89 pioneer and the first time I had it painted I was going to put the pioneer stripes back on but the painter glued the comanche decals in the wrong place, so I grew to like it w/o the stripes. The second time I had it painted (I get it painted every ten years!) the painter (different shop) went with a little darker grey metallic and also painted the the fender flares, bottom section and cowl all gloss black. It is not stock but I feel I don't have to repaint door jams and it is so close to stock color I don't think purists will mind. Sorry I can't help with the codes, mine was the light grey.

Buck.

I tend to be a purist with Comanches, I'd go back to stock/restore. I can't stand when people take these and lift the up and cut them up :cry:

whats the point of having a 4x4 if its a lowrider :nuts: ive been wanting to do jeeps mango tango, or a escalade pearl white. for gray i love my platnium gray on my GLI, very smooth looking. the silverstone is just lacking something.

I totally understand. I do plan on lifting the Jeep, but everything will be done tastefully. If it turns out how I have it pictured in my head, its going to look nice. I think I am going to have it painted the factory original gray. That will keep me from having to paint the door jams, etc.

RockMJ

I prefer the brighter colors, but grey, nicely done, does look classy. We just resprayed my MJ and because I was changing the doors (wanted opening wind vents and power), the jams were not a problem as the doors were off the truck anyway. Plus, since I treated the floors with POR-15 and haven't decided on carpet or vinyl covering, we were able to shoot color on the floor for UV protection, which turned out better than expected.

I'll be interested in seeing how yours comes out.

-meljr

Thanks for the input guys. Ive always had a love for the Amber Fire XJ's and I'm debating whether or not to do the 97+ front end swap and having the MJ painted that color. My wife is begging me to paint it that color so I can't really argue haha. Ive been really unsure of how it would look because of the long bed but I am confident it would look pretty slick. Thanks for posting the picture of the orange MJ it really helped!

And for those asking about the gauge overlays in my MJ. I designed and printed them myself :D

RockMJ

I forgot to ask, for those who have done the 97+ front end swap, what exactly do I need. I am going to purchase the parts new (where reasonable) like the fenders and front header panel. What else do I need exactly? I know most wire in the late model XJ wiring harness to the factory harness but is there anything else I need to do? Does everything bolt right up, mainly the front header panel? I have not looked into this swap all that much so excuse my ig-nence lol. Thanks guys,

RockMJ

Amber Fire is one of those colors that in the shade does nothing for me, but put it out in the sunlight and I fall in love with it all over again. That Mango Tango looks fantastic though.

As far as the front end conversion, you'll need the fenders and fender brackets (at the front), the header, marker lights (front and side) and the wiring. If you want the bumper, obviously that will have to swap and I think the bumper brackets are different too.

Amber Fire is one of those colors that in the shade does nothing for me, but put it out in the sunlight and I fall in love with it all over again. That Mango Tango looks fantastic though.

As far as the front end conversion, you'll need the fenders and fender brackets (at the front), the header, marker lights (front and side) and the wiring. If you want the bumper, obviously that will have to swap and I think the bumper brackets are different too.

Thanks for the info man. The mango tango is an amazing color and I'm torn between the two. I will have to compare them side by side to see which I like better. Really close to be honest

RockMJ

Just got the painting quote for the MJ and its going to look KILLER! The MJ's paint has a LOT of imperfections from the last paint job so its going to run me around 2125 to get it looking perfect again. Thats with painting the underside of the hood, door jams, etc. They are going to fix all of the dents, paint runs, scratches, and do a heavy metallic paint with a three stage clear and wet sanding. I'm really excited to get it done and ill be sure to post up pictures when its finished!

RockMJ

the doors are the better upgrade in my opnion. i never liked that useless non-wing windows on 96-

I thought about it but my doors are in perfect shape so I'm going to keep them. My fenders are pretty spent and they were getting replaced anyways so I figured, hell why not just do the 97+ front end swap. It will definitely make for a cleaner looking rig

RockMJ