timing

Just talked to machine shop about my motor 2.5. Only has 9000 on rebuild. He is telling me it jumped time. Is this possible and what causes this. He also wants me to pay for another rebuild. warranty was 12 month 12 thousand miles so i have no warranty. thanks

Possible but incredibly unlikely. The 2.5 uses a tensioner for the timing chain, and if he didn't replace it when he did the first "rebuild", and it was worn out, it could have jumped a tooth. There is no reason to rebuild the motor just to reset the timing chain.

Thats what i thought. Yes on new timing chain and tensioner.He said there was some topend damage to. I am not from around there area were i got it rebuilt but everyone i talked to said he does good work.

Yes i agree. He set the timing when he rebuilt it. I would think that would be his fault. I can complain to him about it maybe he will do something. My luck he will say can't do anything and here is your motor back in a thousand pieces. So much for getting gears this spring.

Sorry to hear of your circumstance!

Out of curiosity, how many miles were on the motor before the rebuild?

If it ran well for 9000 miles, seems the timing was at least set correctly. I'm

wondering if new chain and tensioner were actually installed. If I hire

out work (which is rare), I insist on seeing the old parts. Is the head

off? Have you seen if there's damage? I don't know how unforgiving this motor

is for wrong valve timing. Did it jump far enough to break parts, or just run

very poorly? Anyone else think there should be a visual difference between

a low mileage and a high mileage chain? How far beyond 12 months were

you?

November was 12 months. Not forsure miles on motor i did drive truck before i pulled motor. Reason i got this motor was i spun a bearing on my motor. I asked around all said might of damaged crank. Instead of messing with my motor i used other. Yes i did get to see motor a part. don't know what to look for he said it needs rings wrist pin and something with the cam. He showed me the cylinder walls there a groove up at the top of cylinder he said valves looked good. So i a looking at $40 for taking a part motor $175 rings, hone cylinder walls and install. $130 for install and part for cam. $40 for resurface flywheel. So $400 for his mistake.

What does resurfacing the flywheel have to do with a jumped timing chain? And how could a jumped timing chain damage a wrist pin or groove the cylinder?

I think you need to run away from that shop just as fast as you can.

I know of three possible outcomes for jumped timing:

A) motor runs like sh&t until the timing is resolved

B) valves meet pistons and pushrods get bent

C) valves meet pistons much more harshly and parts break

Some motors have very little tolerance for off timing, and

I don't know about this one specifically. When valves hit

pistons, it's usually very obvious. Look at pistons and see if

you find contact marks. No matter what you find, I agree with

Eagle that this shop is a place to run from. Cut your losses

now, rather than giving them another chance to screw up

your motor, which, I hope, might be salvagable. Unless you

can confirm this motor is worth salvaging, you may be better

off to just get another. If a metal fragment (like a valve or piston

chip) grooves a cylinder, it likely will take more than honing

to resolve. If it were me, I wouldn't put more money into this

motor without going all the way. Hard to know what this shop

actually did, no matter what they say they did.

what the damn moo! if it jumped time ? ok gears /chain was crap like in china made crap ..not harden right too soft ! or loss of oil going to different areas of the engine is another reason .....if you don't grease the chain with moly grease ,this helps the life of chain in the break in time! cut open the oil filter see if any medal shavings are in it-looking like gray'/silver powder ??

I talked to machine shop friday. He said bolt that holds timing chain on fell out causing it to jump time. So why is he replacing bearings and rings then. Pushrods valves and springs are all good. Some good news came out of all of this. Only going to cost $125.instead of $400+ thanks