Rockdrummer93's '99 MJ Trail Rig Build

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rockdrummer hows the dual tank setup coming (I just previewed your post in 5 minutes lol). I'm currently looking for a manche but would LOVE a dual tank setup!! Thanks.

I havent really started on it yet. Right now Ive just been trying to get it put back together so I can get it on the road. I probably won't be doing this mod anytime soon. But when I do I'll do a full detailed write up on a separate thread as well as on this this one.

Modified the 94 Dakota tank I had. Installed a vent neck and a roll over valve. Was at Lowes the other day for some other things and was snooping around and found some pvc parts that I figured I could make work. Now I just need to find a hose to connect the filler necks together then install it.

Got the tank in. Fits all like it should. Drove the Jeep around my neighborhood. feels like it should. then again I can't notice a whole lot under 20mph. I have come to the realization that I'm not going to make my goal of taking the truck on the Christmas trip we have every year. It just needs too much and I just can't afford what it all needs at the moment or at least before the trip. So I'm just going to slow down a bit. Move the goal to around april and try and take it on the opening weekend at Uwharrie. So we'll see. Cause right now it needs a front axle (thats non disconnect), steering box, a few things for the interior, exhaust system and windshield. here is a picture of it outside the garage for once.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got back to the Jeep today. Got the door switches worked out.. was a bad ground. Still need to get an exhaust and windshield. Might be getting a set of 33x10.5s from a friend. So while I had time on my hands today I swapped two 33x12.5s off my dad's Jeep just to see what it would look like.. Looks pretty badass in my opinion. I like it lot. All it really needs is a coil spacer up front. 

Flexin a bit:

Leveled out:

That is maxed out front up travel and no rubbing:

And back in the garage:

Dude your truck looks great...

So much so in fact that I am very tempted to consider finding a late model front clip and having it painted when I am in the booth later this week.

Just in case I decide to change it. The black you have on the lower body (looks great) and is exactly what I am planning with the U-Pol Raptor sray in bed liner expected on my porch this afternoon.

• 1 month later...

I am still stumped with the dash I wish I i could finally get it out on mine, it seems to have been disassembled and reassembled with rivets :( 

Then again call me crazy but making it a metal dash like the old Jeeps would be cool. 

Has anyone mounted a universal air conditioner on one of these MJ's? 

I am still stumped with the dash I wish I i could finally get it out on mine, it seems to have been disassembled and reassembled with rivets  :( 

Then again call me crazy but making it a metal dash like the old Jeeps would be cool. 

Has anyone mounted a universal air conditioner on one of these MJ's? 

I kinda ripped mine out. Idk about the universal AC.

Took the MJ on its first journey on the big streets today. Took it to my friend's place up the road a bit so we can take it to a muffler shop in the morning. Only one major problem I found, it has a major case of the death wobble. I believe its due to a wore out steering box but only time will tell.

Good looking MJ.  Like the color.  Do you get JP Magazine in the latest issue they had a pretty good article on death wobble how to find what is causing it and how to fix it.  If I can find the link I'll post it up for you!

Good looking MJ.  Like the color.  Do you get JP Magazine in the latest issue they had a pretty good article on death wobble how to find what is causing it and how to fix it.  If I can find the link I'll post it up for you!

Thanks, I'll have to look for that issue. 

Got the exhaust done today. Told the guy I wanted something fairly inexpensive somewhat, quite but still having a tone to it.. He chose a turbo tube muffler with a catalytic converter. I think it turned out great. Its not as loud as my XJ but still you know its there which is what I was going for. 

• 1 month later...
Got back from Saudi Friday and today has been the first time Ive been able to work on the truck. I think I have fixed the death wobble but still haven't tested it out yet.. The upper track bar bolt was extremely loose. Tighten it up and the steering feels a lot better now. Built a little box to cover the rear harness and where I cut the XJ carpet to fit the Comanche, will probably carpet it next week sometime. Also picked up some new seats. Bought some new ones with detachable headrests for my XJ incase I decide to run harnesses and will be putting my old ones in the manche..

New for my XJ:

What's going in the MJ: