Rockdrummer93's '99 MJ Trail Rig Build

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are getting ready to spray our MJ inca gold. I have the door jambs all done just waiting for a slow time at my buddys shop to spray the rest of the truck. It's a great color.

could you send me some pics when your done? or post a link here where I could see them.. seeing an MJ in inca gold will help me decide better.. seeing a bunch of TJs in that color isnt the same.

• 1 month later...

Well back in the states. Today has been the first time I have been able to get to work on the Manche. I was able to get the bed off, and it all cleaned up. Starting to prep it for paint. Going to be ordering some door hinges and front frame braces this week. A buddy of mine is going to help me get the crack fixed this weekend. The gas tank looks brand new and after taking more of a look at it, I might be able to make it work with the new fuel assembly. So before I buy a new tank I am going to try it with that one.

Got some work on the hinges done today. Also primed some of the body panels. Had a little issue when working on the hinges. One of the holes that I tapped had a bur. I locked up the bolt and snapped the head off. Broke out the blue wrench and the WD40, and might have started a little fire. Nothing bad just made a lot of smoke lol.

Steering brace frame plates came in today. Now just need to get it over to my buddy's shop so I can get the crack fixed and these installed. been a little busy lately so haven't got to the manche in a few days. still need to work out the doors. Ive got the top hinge on both sides done just need to do the bottom and then get them all aligned up.

Coming along nice, keep up the great work. :MJ 2:

Thanks

I'm glad I didn't have to worry about fixing my hinges. Nice to see some progress and I can't wait to see some color on this truck.

Yeah those hinges are turning into a nightmare. Yeah as soon as I get the hinges fixed, steering brace plates on and the tank worked out she will be getting some color. Will be ordering the tank rings sometime this month. Need to get past next week though. My cherokee is getting geared this thursday and don't want to spend a lot of money till that is done and out of the way.

Got some work on the bed done today. Mainly just scraping the "Sportruck" decal off the sides so I can paint it. I also was able to get one of the fenders trimmed. Was just able to get that one side done before my last cut wheel gave out. (good thing for safety glasses ;)) did think it was pretty cool that since the PO for some reason painted part of the bed black that when I scrapped the vinyl off the "Sportruck" was still there lol

Got the first 2 coats of primer on before I finished for today. This is probably how it will sit for a little while. Next main thing is the fuel pump assembly. Will be ordering the adapter rings early next week after I get the gears done on my Cherokee.

Took the 35" spare from my cherokee and rolled it under the bed's fender well to see what it looked like. About 3" too tall but I think it looks good!

• 2 weeks later...

Well started prepping the frame for the new plates. Took the radiator back out, pulled the steering box and started stripping the paint and gunk off. Unfortunately I found that the crack was bigger then I had thought. But that is most likely going to get fixed next weekend. I also found the old front shocks from my XJ that came with my 4.5" lift. I installed one to see how it fit and I like it. I did some experimenting and with a slightly longer bumpstop its perfect! Just enough up travel and TONS!! of down travel. The main reason I did this is that I'm not going to be able to have time nor the money to have the manche lifted by time the Christmas trip comes around and I'm taking the Comanche no matter what. SO.. I'm going to try and make it the best no lift on 31s off roader I can for now.

At ride height:

Max up travel:

Before the added bumpstop:

5" short of being max down travel:

Finished painting the front clip. I think it turned out pretty good. Also went out and pulled a Dakota tank. Still need to go back and get the pump assembly. I was fooling around in the garage yet again and might see away to do a dual tank. Since I have kinda decided to turn this into a expedition rig since I'm keep my Cherokee, dual tanks would come in handy. It would be done with an 97+ XJ tank. After doing some test fitting and taking some measurements it should work and be about the same clearance as a XJ. I will have to move some of the brake line mounts but thats about it. The hardest part of this will be the switches and what not. I won't be doing this anytime soon but when/If I do I'll do a full write up on the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy came with his role back friday afternoon and we loaded up the manche and took it over to his place to get the welding done. Got the crack welded up and the plates welded on. We ran out of gas and he had so other work todo so we might try and get back to it this evening to get the new hinge plates welded on. Welds a purty but they'll hold lol

The Jeep is running on its own now. Got the tank and pump all worked out. Went to the junk yard to get a pump and the tank I pulled to get it was out of an 02 Dakota and was not the pump I was looking for but after looking at it I saw that I could make it work so I just grabbed the lot. after I rewired the connector hit the key and... the pump didnt work. after some investigation turns out it was a ground issue. I still need to figure it out but I ran a separate temporary ground just to see if I could get the jeep to run and it did..

Got the rest of the cab painted yesterday. well kinda the driver side fender gave me fits. something was on the fender when I went to paint it so I had to strip it down and start over so thats only thing left. Got the bed on last night. A buddy of mine came over and help me maneuver that massive thing back onto the frame rails. won't be too much longer now till I have her on the road and get some miles on her as a '99.