Rockdrummer93's '99 MJ Trail Rig Build

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got some pictures of the process today. Got a lot got of the engine stuff back together and have started filling her up with fluids. I still need to extend the brake lines from the brake proportioning valve to the master cylinder and finish up the harness. I also need to decide what route I'm taking with the fuel system and/or tank/pump/sender. I however was very pleased to fine WrenchMonkey's thread on NAXJA forum about fixing the door hinges without welding. I will be doing this over this week. Those damn hinges have had me worried since the start.

Got the brake lines done today, thats about it. My main goal right now is to get the rest of the stuff I need off the Cherokee donor and get it off to scrap so I can have more space in the garage and use the money from that to go towards gears for my red Cherokee. So I probably won't get too much done on the manche this week. Unless its just throwing the rest of the dash panels on.

I pulled the doors off the XJ today. Most of the 97+ threads I read people are making new backing plates for the striker . I really don't want to go through more work then I have to so I just pulled the factory plate out. I noticed that the backing plate moved very loosely for adjustment. So after looking a bit I found that it was just a little tab holding it in. So I drilled a hole in the B-piller about where the back of the striker was. stuck a screw driver in, bent the tab and after a little wiggling of the backing plate it just fell out.

Got the dash put back together today. Will be going the JY some time in the future to get the lower ends of that dash so its all grey. Still working out the harness. Ive already figured out what out of the harness I need and what I don't its just cutting and adding to make it work in that small cab that is frustrating me. Cause I really don't want a bunch of harness piled up in the back. I'll some how work it out the way I want it. Also cleaned out the truck bed and through all the parts I had back there in the cherokee that I'll probably be junking sometime this week.

181285_10150819812265248_589005247_10113261_1279235390_n.jpg

Well went to the junk yard for one of their half price weekends. Picked up some dark grey dash panels and center console and managed to fine a 97+ 2 door that I pulled the passenger side seat hinge out of. The driver side seat was already gone. So here is a picture of the dash as it is now and my pretty lazy helper :shake:

• 3 weeks later...

Scored this gem Saturday. Factory MJ D44, Pick it up for $60. The guy sold it as a housing cause of no shafts and brakes, more of a steal rather then a buy. Will be building it slowly to install later on. will also pick up a HP30 to do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Well unfortunately progress on the MJ will come to a stop for a good while. I am currently in Saudi Arabia. I have a job lined up that will be paying a lot more then my old job. So for the next year the Comanche will sit till I get back and am able to pick it back up again. Looking at it on the bright side. This does mean the Ol' Manche will see some pretty awesome mods when I get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like I am coming home. Job over here didn't really work out. I'll be coming home and going back to school. I will also be picking back up on the manche. I most likely will be selling my XJ because I can't afford both this one and the XJ and I really want a better DD. So the MJ will be on the trail as soon as I can get it there.

Looks like we'll be able to hit up Uwharrie together a little sooner than planned. Let me know when you're finished and we'll take a trip up there.

Will do I probably won't have the manche ready for Uwharrie till next season. Might take my XJ up there before I sell it sometime this season before they close for the winter, but we'll see about that. My goal at the moment is to have the MJ ready by Christmas for the annual Christmas trip me and few buddies have at Gulches ORV every year. We do it the week after Xmas. So if you haven't been to Gulches and up for some winter camping you could probably tag along for that if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so here is the plan right now when I get back.. My over all goal is to have the Comanche ready for the Christmas trip we have every year. In order to be finished with the 97+ swap I still need to install the new style fuel pump assembly, the doors and the rest of the body panels.. That is priority right now. Another main issue I need to address before I do anything major is the crack in the frame at the steering box bolt, probably just going to weld up the crack grind it down then install some front frame stiffeners on top to help reinforce it. once all of that is done. I'm probably going to paint it. Still not sure what I'm going with at the moment. I want to stick with a factory Mopar color. I saw where someone on JF did a whole rattle can paint job from those 5oz. cans of Mopar touch up paint and it didn't turn out that bad. I'm looking at either PJ4 Cosmos Blue, PEM Red Rock Crystal Pearl, PYJ Inca Gold, PGJ Jeep Green Metallic, PBA Winter Chill or if none of those work out then just an ultra flat olive drab or desert tan from the local auto parts store. tell me which y'all think on the colors. after that, its lift and tires. Going with 6.5 BDS coils, Clayton's Pro series 3-link kit and the Skyjacker M95 shocks off my XJ installed with a nondisco HP30 for the front. Will be going spring over in the rear with the D44 also from my XJ. As for rubber 35x12.5 Goodyear MT/Rs. Have been doing a lot of research over here in Saudi waiting to come home. I am pretty set on the suspension. I am still set on selling my XJ but it will be a while before I can get a new daily driver with the situation I'm in at the moment. Ive got enough saved up that with a little from the sell of the XJ and work when I get home I should be able to do most of this before December that is if the XJ sells quick for what I want for it. I have free range of using my dad's TJ as a short term DD till I'm able to get my own DD. So yeah there are my plans at the moment. I know its a lot. But what can I say when I'm over here behind this computer on JeepForum and ComancheClub all day. :rotfl2: Can't wait to get home and get started. comanche.gif