2.5 Rear Main and Clutch Slave diagnosis

Going to be replacing the clutch slave soon, due to never being replaced and acquiring a size-able leak as of late. Not sure if the clutch is going to be needing replacement, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Since the slave is getting replaced, and the pressure plate, disk, etc might need to be replaced, what kit would you guys recommend getting? One that would give me all of these things hopefully, so I don't have to spend buko-bucks buying each thing. Even if none of the clutch components need replacing, I can still have the satisfaction of having the spare parts there when needed down the road.

Also, in regards to the rear main, does anyone know if the RM in the 2.5 is a one piece, or multi-piece set up, as I see 2 different offerings by my local parts place. :dunno: The one piece says it's an exact fit, but I just want to make sure before I spend the money on it, and it's not correct.

If anyone can think of anything else I should replace, check, etc. while the tranny is going to be down and out, don't hesitate to say so. :cheers:

for clutch components/kits, either OEM or LUK. If you're replacing an intenal slave/throwout, it would be foolish not to replace the clutch since you already have the tranny off.

RMS on a 2.5 is a one-piece. I would also look at the welch plug in the back of the block (and the one at the back of the head) while you have the flywheel off and replace either if necessary.

Jeff

'87 2.5s should have an external slave. Mine did. I used the Advance Auto special (not sure of brand) and never had any problems. I think external slave took about 1.5 hrs to change and bleed.

Not from the factory they didn't. If yours was that way when you got it, then someone had already done the swap. The only year the MJ got a factory external was 86.

If yours was that way when you got it, then someone had already done the swap. The only year the MJ got a factory external was 86.

Very interesting. I had V belts instead of serpentine too. Maybe I had a very early build '87? Does someone on here have the capability of running the VIN to get the "built as" condition? Truck has been gone for 2+ yrs but I still have the VIN.

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/ ... 20Kit.aspx

Luk kit:

Rear main is a one piece. It has a greater diameter than the 4.0 rear main as well. I ended up buying the entire FelPro engine gasket kit (#FS 9196 PT-1) as I plan on replacing the rear main, head gasket, oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket and valve cover gasket and it was much cheaper to go this route. Was cheapest to order through Advance Auto, about $20 cheaper than any other vendor at the time.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... SKAMS_____

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/105128%20Jeep%20Stock%20Replacement%20Clutch%20Kit.aspx

Luk kit:

Rear main is a one piece. It has a greater diameter than the 4.0 rear main as well. I ended up buying the entire FelPro engine gasket kit (#FS 9196 PT-1) as I plan on replacing the rear main, head gasket, oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket and valve cover gasket and it was much cheaper to go this route. Was cheapest to order through Advance Auto, about $20 cheaper than any other vendor at the time.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... SKAMS_____

Impressive. I'll have to remember that gasket kit in the future when I change most of that stuff. :D

Thanks for the info and links guys, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stay w/ the internal slave setup for the time being. Since I don't have the time, nor the $ to go out and hunt for an external AX4 with all the additional setups. :hmm: If this truck wasn't my DD, I probably would though.

Impressive. I'll have to remember that gasket kit in the future when I change most of that stuff. :D

Thanks for the info and links guys, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stay w/ the internal slave setup for the time being. Since I don't have the time, nor the $ to go out and hunt for an external AX4 with all the additional setups. :hmm: If this truck wasn't my DD, I probably would though.

Yeah, I thought the gasket kit was a good deal too!

The clutch kit I linked was for an internal slave setup ;) I too thought about going external, but the additional cost and time to spend finding the parts wasn't worth it to me.