Can tranny cause sluggishness?

My 88 auto is very sluggish compared to the two 5spd trucks, all with 4.0s. It feels about the same as my 89 2.5 felt. According to a mechanic, the fuel system, motor, and cat are fine and he thinks the transmission could be the culprit. I will have a transmission shop perform a diagnostic test if need be. Has anyone had this experience with the AW4 or should I look elsewhere for the lack of power issue? I have to floor the pedal to get any sort of decent acceleration and it maxes out at 60mph on long grades.

What color is your tranny fluid?

Transmission fluid color has little to no indication at the quality of the fluid. Transmission fluid is dyed so that it does not look like motor oil or other fluids. Over time the dye breaks down and is not necessarily related to the fluid condition. You have to use your nose to test transmission fluid. Granted, a transmission filled with 20 year old transmission fluid should be drained and filled (not flushed).

Are you sure your truck isn't dragging a brake or bearing? Does it have 3.55 gears? What size tires?

Gears are 3.55 and tires are 225/75/15. The axle was just swapped over from my other 88 so I would have the D44 on the 4x4. I don't feel, hear, or smell anything brake related but I'll double check the brake set-up this weekend. Until the tranny is diagnosed, I'm kinda stumped to the cause of such a lack of power. If it needs anything major, I'll have to wait until I sell the one of the 5spd trucks to pay for repairs.

The AW4 isn't the most efficient auto tranny; it typically causes the majority of 20%-30% drive train power loss. I've had several dyno runs and at the average, about 25%. But your rig does sound a bit anemic Remi. Is the tranny down shifting normally on grades? What is the RPM when it "it maxes out at 60mph on long grades"? It could be something as simple as a Throttle Valve (TV) cable adjustment. I'd check this first - it only takes a minute and easy to do. They are almost always AFU.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32158&hilit=tv+cable

Thanks Don but I adjusted the TV cable last week so it will probably be the transmission. This truck has the giant fuel gauge with no RPM gauge :fs1: . I don't feel a kick-down shift on grades or when kicking it in the @$$. I'll try to do a drain-n-fill this weekend but I have a feeling that won't improve performance.

Bummer. In that case I'd ohm out the AW4 solenoids, especially the torque converter lockup one. Also easy to do, disconnect the white connector of the cable that goes to the tranny at the right rear engine compartment above the bell housing. Check each pin to ground; readings for all pins should be right around 14 ohms.

• 1 month later...