mounting warn m8274 winch

You'll need to make a fairly large plate for it to mount to, since it is large, and it mounts on the front (doubles to mount the fairlead).

Not specific to a MJ/XJ, but this is how I built a bumper that would mount one for my GMC thing.

Image Not Found

I had a piece of 3/8" mild bent to make the angle, since the dimensions of it wind up being the same as 3x10 angle, IIRC, which is hard to find. I milled the hole for the cable to pass through (angle grinder would do), and used the mill to drill the mounting holes for the winch's feet. Then I welded two pieces of 1/2" plate to the sides that attach to the frame rails (same idea on a MJ), and put the shackle holes through them.

Finished product wound up something like this:

Image Not Found

On a MJ/XJ I'd mount it as far back as possible, cut out the header panel as needed, and if you rake the winch forwards a bit (like I did on this one) you won't have to butcher the header panel as much. Otherwise it will stick out like crazy.

Yeah... they're kinda tricky to make them fit right. I was in the same boat as I found one for real cheap. I ended up cutting the header and grill to make everything fit as tight as possible:

297797_146430235455848_100002666186219_212713_1867137472_n.jpg

316488_125324724233066_100002666186219_141500_1018949_n.jpg

It's really the winch that's the reason that I'd love a good enough excuse to make a new set of bumpers for this truck. The 8274 is a big unit and even when trying to make it disappear it seems to take up the whole front end. I'd say on the front of a Wrangler, they look right at home... not so much an MJ. On a side note, I'd also like a different winch because my old shop was broken into a couple years ago and one of the items that went missing was my recovery bag with the winch controler in it... haven't found one yet.

be mindful of blocking the radiator. I've read about people having cooling issues with the big winch in the way.

yeahthat.gif I agree completely. On mine, I wanted to mount it as low as possible just for that reason. Food for thought... eat it up.