Long arm upgrade?

Ive been building a kit in my head and with control arms and drop brackets I have the price of either Rough Country or Iron Rock Off Road long arm kits. What kit is better for the money and what one installs easier on the Comanche I have a 5sp and its not the ax15 seen something before that the RC didn't line up good or something. Or for the money am I better off going short arms and drop brackets? Thanks for the input I just sold my 96 xj so money is going into the comnache :wrench:

I think you'll be happier with the long arms because eventually you'll want them over the drop brackets. But the DPs are a good way to go too depending on what you'll be doing with the Jeep. Lots of info over in the build pages, also throughout the tech section...here's a link on CA lengths: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Sus ... _Chart.htm

The kits mentioned are both a "Y-Link" type setup. I think first you need to decide if you want to go with a Y-Link or a true 3 or 4 link setup. Each style has it's benefits/disadvantages.

Once you decide what style of kit you want to go with you need to decide what kit specifically suits your needs. Just because a kit is cheaper does not mean it's the one to go with. You need to look at the joints and how long they last; mounting setup, ground clearance, etc....

Hello

I ran short arm for few years without drop brackets. with dp is much better basically short arm is fine with dps. if you weekend wheel only you will be happy..if you want to get more aggressive wheeling then long arm is better imo, that's what I run now and love the system. if your doing lift on a Comanche for the first time I don't think you save much if any going short arm. long arm system I have from RC is a great system, the current gen system has the bushings resolved as i have them and they hold up .some people keep repeating old info.

so if you looking to buy a complete system new then I recommend the RC long arm system upgrade with front springs and trackbar. you won't need leafs just do spring over that's what is done.

do your own reading on the different long arm styles, you will find the y link setup is just fine and works perfect for all the use you described. don't get caught up in all the over emphasize styles. Call Jason or Jeff at RC and they will take good care of you.

any other questions feel free to I'm

One thing to keep in when deciding is that unless your building a buggy long arms will not flex any more then short arms with dbs.

IMO I wouldn't bother with long arms unless you were doing a 3 or 4 link. I would take 4 link short arms with dbs over y links/radius arms.

I have the Clayton Longarm upgrade, its a Ylink setup and works great for offroading on the weekends and drives awesome on road. I don't like the idea of a 3-link because if something happened to the upper control arm on a trail or driving around town, your screwed. I havent heard or felt any binding with my longarms and have done plenty of hillclimbs and not had any "pre-loading" . Just my 2 cents

How is the install on the RC long arm kit?

very well made system Install was straight forward, on the Comanche you will need to notch the cab supports for the cross member, (Cherokees don't have these extra supports) its a great system i love it on and off road. great ride

I don't like the idea of a 3-link because if something happened to the upper control arm on a trail or driving around town, your screwed.

Your worried about one link that is tucked up out of the way. Your entire axle is held on by only 2 links. Loose either one and you more screwed then a guy with a broken 3rd link.

the only thing I don't like about the rc upgrade is the tranny bolt heads stick out and you have to drop the arms and skid to drop the tranny and TC. otherwise ive heard that everyone has goodluck with them

and mnkyboy, the chances of the joints at the crossmember end are far less likely to fail and if one on the axle end fails you still have one link upper link attached regardless, itd be easier to get yourself out of a sticky situation with 3 links still attached rather than 2

Ive run Clayton's Long Arm's in the past and the products are top notch and they withstand a serious amount of abuse. After running their product I wouldnt even consider running another LA kit from another manufacturer but thats just me. But the obvious cost scares people away and they go with a lesser kit and regret it. I did this myself and if I had gone Clayton's originally I would have saved a lot of time and money. And if you were curious, I ran the Rubicon Express kit before swapping it out for Clayton's stuff

RockMJ

Rock Krawler 3 link here and love it. ride is great, flex is great, bars/brackets are stout as hell. used them as sliders a few times :D

ive never been a fan of Y links. why i don't know, just don't. a friend is running the Iron Rock and likes it but i hate the design.

and i don't think any long arm install on a MJ is going to be easy....or not as easy as drop brackets and all that

mnkyboy, the chances of the joints at the crossmember end are far less likely to fail and if one on the axle end fails you still have one link upper link attached regardless, itd be easier to get yourself out of a sticky situation with 3 links still attached rather than 2

Even as stout as your arms are you are still more likely to rip one off then you are a top link on a 3 link.

A good 3rd link is as big as the lower links but sees far less abuse.

Realisticaly the odds of breaking either are slim,I would rather have the 3 link for better handling,more predictability,no unloading,less binding.

IMO Y links only exist because they are cheap and easy to make,they cannot perform as well as 3 or 4 link.

the only thing I don't like about the rc upgrade is the tranny bolt heads stick out and you have to drop the arms and skid to drop the tranny and TC. otherwise ive heard that everyone has goodluck with them.

The tranny mount bolts are not exposed , that was addressed few months after they release the system,(3+years ago) and really how often do you plan to remove the tranny or case? really. I have upgraded my TC case once in 6 years. people always bring that up like most people need to remove there TC case every week? ha ha :dunno: