Locks but no unlock

After years of problems with my passenger door, on my 88 Pioneer, often refusing to unlock, I thought it time to fix the problem but I couldn't get the door opened to pull the panel. Finally after repeated attempts the lock released and I was able to open the door. After removing the actuator I could find nothing wrong but observed the mechanism to be badly soiled with sticky gunk which I assume to be old grease maybe mixed with years of comtaminants. Could this be the problem? Has anyone else had this happen or should I look toward another cause? All linkages seem fine and apparently the inside of this door has never been accessed before.

that could be the problem, the other day my door would not open at all finally I slimjim the door open put some oil on every thing now door works like a champ. so I would clean and oil eveything then push the lock button back and forth with the door open see if it gets any better.

OK, I think I have it working again. I soaked the incredibly sticky gunky lock mechanism for 2 days in the bottom of the parts washer, blew it out with air, sprayed it with aerosol grease and reinstalled it. It will still occassionally act up but if I snap the lock back and forth a time or two it works fine. If anyone else has this problem, it might be worth while trying to spray an aerosol solvent and lube into the latch as best you can and see if over time it may work itself back into the mechanism and hopefully better function. Removal of this latch is a pain in the Derriere and can stretch the vocabulary of the hobby mechanic.

I should have been more clear in stating my problem. This is not an electric door lock but rather manual and the lock set and the inside rocker function fine. The problem was in the mechanism that is part of the striker latch. I have never seen before the kind of the brown sticky gunk that must have inhibited the mechanisms function. I can only think this was the cause of the problem and must have been due to weathering of the original lube that was used 24 years ago. I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem and want to give a heads up to the others out there.