Can I have your opinion/knowledge on leaf packs?

I have 31s on my 89 MJ with stock very worn leaves in the rear. I haul 800-1400 pounds regularly so I need to get some more rear tire clearance. My 89 MJ I owned before the one I have now hauled 1800 lbs in it with no problems, and it had the D35 like my current MJ. I thought about just adding some chevy drop shackles to get another 1/2" or so and a better shackle angle...OR should I add a couple S10 leaves? I guess my dilemma is add shackles for a little lift or add a couple leaves for better load capacity and no lift? Would adding the main and second leaf of an S10 pack add any height or loose height because its SUA?

I really wish that was an option but I am a struggling contractor! Shackles and new bolts would run $50($40 for shackles at autozone). I can get S10 packs for $24 bucks at the pick n pull, already have new centering pins, u bolts for $30 at napa, and spring clips for a $5. So the two options are pretty much the same price. I just want some opinions on which route I should go. Thanks for the input.

HellCreek sells an AAL that does that (essentially an MJ main leaf with the eyes removed). comes with hardware too (clips and center bolts).

An XJ main would work and provide no "lift" perse. but if your leafs are sagging, the added carrying capacity might bump it up a small amount from what it is now.

I picked up a set of Dakota leaves tonight. I got the main with eyes cut already and the 2nd-3rd leaves for $40 off craigslist. When I went to the guys house he had a set of 3" skyjacker coil springs for $40 also! I will post the end result of my bastard pack this weekend for future reference to anyone who wants to try it.

I like the XJ main leaf trick. You gain load capacity without lots of lift.

Another option is that Rancho sells a full-length AAL for the XJ and MJ. It adds about 2" in an XJ, and about 1" in an MJ. I've used three of them. Last time I bought one was a few years ago and at the time it cost about $50 -- probably went up a bit since then.

Well I got it done last night. I added just the dakota main leaf and it got me 2" of lift and a much better ride quality. My rear leafs were very soft before and the truck would sway a little side to side.

Is that 2 inches of lift over nominal stock height, or 2 inches higher than where you started?

Either way, I'm glad it worked for you and that you're happy with it.