2WD driveshaft spline count

What's the spline count of a 2WD Comaanche driveshaft slip yoke?

Can you slide a 2WD driveshaft over a 4WD AW4 transmission output shaft (transmission output shaft, not the transfer case)?

The AW4s changed the output shaft from 21 to 23 splines in 91. So depending on the year of your Comaanche count the splines.

thanks yall :cheers:

As for why - it is a long shot in the dark. I want to install a AW4 trany in another vehicle but my space is very limited so the the full lenght 2WD AW4 won't fit. Then I had the briliant idea of using a 4WD AW4 transmission without the transfer case and just slide the driveshaft over the tail shaft - where normally the TC goes. But looks like this won't happend either becausse I want to use as newer as possible transmission and they all will be the 23 spline ones.

Every 2wd yoke I've seen is 21 splines. But I've heard that at some point they switched to 27, although I have no idea when, if that's true.

2WD drive shaft yoke in 91+ = 27 splines.

2wd drive shaft yoke pulled from my 91 2.5/AX-4 = 21 splines. I discovered it by accident when I had the DS shortened for the 4wd swap, and didn't think I needed to give them a different yoke to put on when they changed the U-joints, so I ended up having to swap the 27 on.

Every 2wd yoke I've seen is 21 splines. But I've heard that at some point they switched to 27, although I have no idea when, if that's true.

2wd drive shaft yoke pulled from my 91 2.5/AX-4 = 21 splines. I discovered it by accident when I had the DS shortened for the 4wd swap, and didn't think I needed to give them a different yoke to put on when they changed the U-joints, so I ended up having to swap the 27 on.

I believe it. There's only one 2WD yoke listed in the parts manual for 1991, the 27 spline one. Mine is 27 splines. But being the change year, I suppose some 21s slipped through as per usual. :dunno:

I believe it. There's only one 2WD yoke listed in the parts manual for 1991, the 27 spline one. Mine is 27 splines. But being the change year, I suppose some 21s slipped through as per usual. :dunno:

I'm sure that's what happened. I imagine when the decision to change was made, they still had crates full of 21 spline trannies, and it really wouldn't make sense to pay to change them over something so trivial.

Just make sure you count your splines people. :doh:

4 cyl were always 21 spline trans EXCEPT the 3 speed 904 auto ones which were shallow 23 spline (same as FSJs) AX4 is a std trans. AW4 is auto. '91 up 4x4 AW4s were 23 spline (and they changed the output length around '95)

You would have to build an adapter using the front part of a tcase to put the driveshaft up to to support the skipping rope action (there is no bearing or bushing in the back of the 4x4 trans case because they use the front bearing of the tcase to absorb the side load.)

4 cyl were always 21 spline trans EXCEPT the 3 speed 904 auto ones which were shallow 23 spline (same as FSJs) AX4 is a std trans. AW4 is auto. '91 up 4x4 AW4s were 23 spline (and they changed the output length around '95)

You would have to build an adapter using the front part of a tcase to put the driveshaft up to to support the skipping rope action (there is no bearing or bushing in the back of the 4x4 trans case because they use the front bearing of the tcase to absorb the side load.)

Did you even read the OP's original questions?

Yes I did. He wanted to take a 4x4 AW4 and hook a driveshaft to it without a tcase attached and wanted to know about the spline count (read the title) Answer is no and I explained why.
Thats absolutely correct. And I figured out too that I will need to make a intermediate support, but even with it the total length still will be less then the total length of a 2WD AW4. Do you think it's possible to find a 23 spline yoke from something?

Also can anyone tell me what is the exact full length of a 2WD AW4. Thanks.