Axle questions?

I want to get a new rear axle for the MJ. I'd like to go dana 44 or ford 8.8.

What are good donor vehicles for these?

What do I need to know about the axle to make sure it bolts up?

My gearing is 4.10 and I would like to keep it at that.

I saw an 8.8 from an f150, is that wider then say an explorers?

Just need general info, I have no knowledge in this area, or any other area for that matter :fs1:

The only axle that will bolt straight in is going to be from an MJ. XJ axles are the same, but the spring perches are in a different spot, so they need to be moved.

You probably have better chances of winning the lottery than finding a factory MJ D44 with 4.10. They exist, but not easy to find.

Exploder 8.8s will work but you need wheel spacers.

I would try to get a 97+ XJ 8.25 with the 29 spline axles.

look for 97+ XJs (earlier 8.25s are only slightly better than the 35. 4.10s are found behind 2.5Ls. also, not all had the 8.25. some had the Dana 35).

or 95+ explorers (very little rhyme or reason as to which ones had 4.10s far as I can tell. v6 and v8 axles are the same internally so either one will do. 95+ had disks)

car-part.com might help in your junkyard searches. :thumbsup:

the XJ axle will need the least amount of work. the explorer axle is stronger and more plentiful in 4.10 ratio, but will need hubcentric wheel spacers and a U-joint flange for the front. it's a very popular Jeep upgrade.

:hijack: I have a 8.8 also, waiting to be put under my 87. The d-window rims i have are 4in b/s, will I still need spacers?

depends. every combo seems to be a bit different. you should be able to run them on the street no-problemo, so you can try it and see. :thumbsup: a plus side to spacers is that it'll push the rear tires out and make them appear the same track-width as the front tires. :yes:

a note on spacers: only get good quality concentric hub spacers. Spidertracs for example.