Turn key: nothing

This is on my new plow plow rig POS.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33041&p=326620#p326620

It a 90. 2.5/AX-5/231/D35

I cannot get this truck to do anything. Turn the key and I don't get anything. No clicks, grinds, nothing. Tried to jump starter from below but I cannot get a screw driver to the solenoid without having my face 10 inches away.

Where do I start?

don't know if it matters but;

The dash panel that goes all the way across at knee height is dropped out. This could of been a clue to whats wrong, like the ignition switch or something. Or it could mean nothing.

Do you have lights/gauges, etc when you turn the key to run or is it completely dead? When you turn the key to start do you see the gauges move and/or lights dim? You may have to pull the starter and have it bench tested at Advance, Auto Zone, etc. If that doesn't lead anywhere try bumping the engine over with a breaker bar. It's possible the motor is locked up. If none of the above then yes, you're back at a bad ignition switch or deeper electrical problem.

if the starter was bad, you should still get a click from the starter relay under the hood.

sometimes my '90 needs the battery cables and terminals cleaned where they contact each other and then it works great. til the next time. :fs1:

I'm going to replace the battery cables next. They are extremely crappy.

The "brake" light on the message panel does light up when the key is on and the blower motor works. Also the dummy light on the cluster lights up when the key is turned. Gas gauge reads zero; right now I just want to get it to crank, then Ill work on getting it to start.

I have not yet but will check for lights (headlights and such).

One thing that I spaced was checking fuses and relays..

Got a list now to check tomorrow. Ignition switch a PITA to change? I remember a few years ago I had to have one replaced in a XJ. I lived in a apartment and it was January so I brought it in. Cost 170 bucks or something like that for labor for a relatively cheap part. For the life of me, I cannot remember what the jeep was doing to turn me on to a bad ignition switch.

Thanks for the replies. I will have time in the morning to mess around again and Ill check back and report. Happy Thanksgiving fellas! :cheers:

This is on my new plow plow rig POS.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33041&p=326620#p326620

It a 90. 2.5/AX-5/231/D35

I cannot get this truck to do anything. Turn the key and I don't get anything. No clicks, grinds, nothing. Tried to jump starter from below but I cannot get a screw driver to the solenoid without having my face 10 inches away.

Where do I start?

don't know if it matters but;

The dash panel that goes all the way across at knee height is dropped out. This could of been a clue to whats wrong, like the ignition switch or something. Or it could mean nothing.

is it auto or manual mines auto and it does it alot and i just put it in neutral and it starts right up

As stated in the first post its a 4 cylinder, manual transmission.

Today I replaced all the relays, checked all fuses (none where related to the issue), and still got nothing. I couldnt get greasy cuz I was doing this right before I had to leave for turkey dinner.

Plan is now to remove starter and bench test it. If it checks out good, I will replace the starter and then look to the ignition switch..

My 98 XJ trail rig has a bad NSS. I usually have to start it in neutral, sometimes it just don't start, I get mad and soapbox.gif at it, then it starts. :dunno:

Ignition switch is a fairly easy fix - drop bottom of dash and drop steering column. The switch is located down the column on the left side.

However, there is a different switch for the tilt and non-tilt column....ask me how I know :doh:

Try a jumper lead from the main terminal of the alt to the battery + and see if everything turns on.

See if what turns on?

I have lights, horn, blower motor, everything but starter power. I'm going to try a different starter tonight.

did you check the starter relay yet? I'd do that before the starter.

Yes I replaced both (2) relays with known good relays.

I pulled the starter out last night. Aint too bad to do except for the dang torx bolts. Starters are on the cheap side for a 4 cylinder so I think I'm going to buy a ignition switch and a starter for it. I hope where I live they can test the starter I pulled to see if its bad first.

t-case problems with the wheeling xj so this project will be on tempory hold till I get that done. Have a club Xmas ride on December 10. If it aint one thing its another. :fs2:

do you get 12 volts down to the starter?

At this point I'm assuming that the starter WAS getting juice. I'm not sure on the best way to check that to make sure. I tried to "jump" the starter but there was no room for a screwdriver in there to do it 'safely.'

Bad switch or melted fusible link. I forgot about the clutch safety switch (first thing I bypassed on mine. I drove my truck for 2 months with a seized pilot bearing and blown clutch slave till I had time to take it apart)