gauge cluster

I'm looking at a full gauge cluster swap out wth my idiot light cluster but i was wondering if it matters if it comes from an XJ and dose the year of the doner make a differance?. mine is an 87

They year does matter. You'll want another renix era cluster. So, I'm thinking anything up to 1990 should work, but hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm.

XJ-MJ dash clusters from '86 thru '90 are identical and are direct swaps. The cluster from a a '84 -'85 XJ is also a direct swap but the panel is slightly different in color and gauge shape but the fits the same. You will also have to swap the temp, oil pressure sending units.

XJ-MJ dash clusters from '86 thru '90 are identical and are direct swaps. The cluster from a a '84 -'85 XJ is also a direct swap but the panel is slightly different in color and gauge shape but the fits the same. You will also have to swap the temp, oil pressure sending units.

This is not correct. The 84-86 clusters have a speedometer that has the cable attached with a small retaining screw. The tach is not adjustable. The 88-90 cluster has the speedo cable attached to the speedo head with a white nylon pinch connector, and the tachometer has a potentiometer that allows you to calibrate it for use with a 4-cyl or 6-cyl. The early clusters can be used in the later vehicles (and vice-versa), but you have to replace the speedometer cable.

Problem is, the question is for an '87 and I don't know which type was used in 1987. The change might even have been mid-year in the 1987 model run.

This is not correct. The 84-86 clusters have a speedometer that has the cable attached with a small retaining screw. The tach is not adjustable. The 88-90 cluster has the speedo cable attached to the speedo head with a white nylon pinch connector, and the tachometer has a potentiometer that allows you to calibrate it for use with a 4-cyl or 6-cyl. The early clusters can be used in the later vehicles (and vice-versa), but you have to replace the speedometer cable.

Problem is, the question is for an '87 and I don't know which type was used in 1987. The change might even have been mid-year in the 1987 model run.

well we will find out in about 5 days. i just bought it off of ebay. if it works ill be :banana: and if it don't ill be :fs2: but then i will offer it up hear for sale for what i paid for it :clapping:

DERN!! Forgot about that Speedo connector. However the panel still fits the hole and by either swapping the speedo head, which will keep the mileage correct, or swapping the cable. Thats what he said. I recently swapped a cluster from a '84, or '85XJ, I don't remember, but it had a 2.8 V6 into a '88 MJ with a 2.5. The tach should have been off reading a couple hundred RPM low. It wasn't. Checked it against a test tach and they were within 5 RPM of each other. Whatever.

hey my guages came in. :headpop: not sure how this guy figured it cam out of an 88 when it was clearly written across the top with a JY paint marker 92 CHEROKEE :mad: .

anyhow he said he will take it back and refund the money plus shipping.

the search gose on :doh: thanks for everyones feedback

For the purists amongst us: there is another difference in the MJ and XJ clusters. The graphics on an MJ are light blue and on an XJ are red.

:clapping: i found another one this one i guess would be from an xj but is a confimed renix with the mechanical speedo. so has anyone ever taken one apart to swap out the odometer? or is there a thread somewhere in here how to?

Odometers can be very delicate surgery, and they don't normally "swap out", they're

integral to the speedometer. They're designed to not be easily altered, to deter

fraud. When I got my truck the reset mechanism wasn't working, so I got another

speedo, and sent it off, along with proof of vehicle ownership and verified current mileage,

to an instrument shop and they reset the new unit to the correct mileage. As I recall

it cost me about $60. This was on a 92 electric unit, perhaps the older ones are simpler?

there are writeups on the internet somewhere. :thumbsup: although technically, altering the odo yourself is kinda against the law. you can take it to a repair shop and they should be able to alter it (and give you the proper paperwork). my brain is telling me you might be able to get it done for as low as 20 bucks. doesn't hurt to ask around and see what the rates are in your neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

I just got a gauge cluster for a 1989 jeep comanche Eliminator.

What will i have to do to install it in a 1986 comanche?

You will need a speedometer cable for an 88-90 XJ or MJ. If the cluster came from a vehicle with a different engine than yours, you may also have to calibrate the tachometer.

For the purists amongst us: there is another difference in the MJ and XJ clusters. The graphics on an MJ are light blue and on an XJ are red.

:clapping: i found another one this one i guess would be from an xj but is a confimed renix with the mechanical speedo. so has anyone ever taken one apart to swap out the odometer? or is there a thread somewhere in here how to?

i found a better way to fix the miles jamminz.gif go to the junk yard and be lucky enough to find an mj (a strok of luck by its self) with a full gage cluster with only 5000 more mile than the one you already have :yes:

You will need a speedometer cable for an 88-90 XJ or MJ. If the cluster came from a vehicle with a different engine than yours, you may also have to calibrate the tachometer.

If i swap the Speed-o-meter with the current will that be good.

If i swap the Speed-o-meter with the current will that be good.

You can do that, but the up-scale clusters have speedos with a trip odometer. If you swap in your old speedo, you won't have the trip odometer. It certainly isn't a necessity, but it's nice to have on occasion.

Remove the tach from the cluster. On the back, there's a potentiometer with a plastic head that has a "+" shaped recess in it. Turning that adjusts the tach. Hook that up along with a known-good idle tach and calibrate away.

• 9 years later...

don’t know if this was covered but could i swap out each individual gauge? teamcherokee.com has gauges for sale way cheaper than used whole clusters. I have a 87 4.0l automatic with the big fuel gauge and indicator lights