Any thoughts on WK Grand Cherokee?

Blue88Comanche

Dad bought himself a Liberty after he sold the F-250, He said he can now co-sign a loan for me if i wanted to get a newer vehicle.. So I found a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 liter V8 with all the bells and buttons, asking price is $9000..

has any one on here owned one? anything i should look for? It is at a chevy dealership

I had an 06 3.7 wk. handled well, got decent mileage, (compared to what i get in my 1500 chevy now) it was underpowered though. VERRY underpowered. It was miserable if you tried to pass someone, but with a 4.7 you should be good. only problem i ever encountered was before i sold it something needed fixed on the trans, about $700 worth. other than that go for it

While I am a fan of the Grand, there is something just sexier about the big-boxy Commander. From what I gather, it's the same underpinnings and platform as a WK... I would just want one as a DD with some 'tude.

Rob :drool:

the Commander I looked at had 3 rows of seats and was a little tight on the inside, but the outside is awesome

WK diesel, just as much torque as a hemi, better mileage.

:drool: I like the sound of that. To bad Diesel is $4+ per gallon :hmm: and gas is 3.09

Ya, and when diesel costs 15% more per gallon and nets you 30% better fuel economy it still nets you a 15% increase in fuel economy.

So you could be paying $10 a gallon for gas and $11.50 for diesel and the diesel will still be cheaper to run.......

Gas cheaper = buy it more often.

Diesel more expensive = buy it less often.

:drool: I like the sound of that. To bad Diesel is $4+ per gallon :hmm: and gas is 3.09

Ya, and when diesel costs 15% more per gallon and nets you 30% better fuel economy it still nets you a 15% increase in fuel economy.

So you could be paying $10 a gallon for gas and $11.50 for diesel and the diesel will still be cheaper to run.......

what are the numbers for the diesel? i know the 4.7 is 14-19 mpg. then my next problem would be finding one..

what are the numbers for the diesel? i know the 4.7 is 14-19 mpg. then my next problem would be finding one..

22-25 stock, more with an ECU tune and good driving habits.

sweet , now i want one :brows: just need something in my price range

Probably going to be something with some miles on it... Just prepare yourself.

I would also see if you can find a forum for them. When I was looking into diesel KJ's, SirSam was tons of help, but I also got some info off a forum about which years were good, programming issues, trans issues, as well as signs of trouble before you buy it.

Diesels are great, but if they weren't taken care of, the repair bills can make you question why you bought one. Get educated on them before you buy one blindly.

Rob

Natural gas man, best "alternative" fuel out there.

A natural gas XJ was high up on my future projects list. Unfortunately, it had to be bumped way down as the place I moved to does not have any natural gas with no plans of installation in the foreseeable future. As such, my diesel XJ project got a massive bump up the list.

i found a 06 4.7 WK 4x4 a few hours drive from here. it has 162,000 miles on it. also has off road package with skid plates and navigation system. they are asking $8900 for it.. but it has the same mileage as my MJ.. the other two WKs has 112,000 and 64,000 miles on them and $9000 asking for both, but they are 2wd. What would be a good offer, and what price would be acceptable.

My Boss is telling me to get a wrangler because its more of a "mans Jeep" than the WK. then one of our friends chimed in and said "you should get a wrangler, do you want a old person truck or to get laid" I would like a wrangler but its not what I need at the moment. A point my boss had was I can sell a wrangler for almost the same as what i paid for it if i needed to.

My goal it to get a Jeep under $10k (would prefer around $7k), safe to drive, V8, 4wd or AWD if possible, can tow my other Jeeps if needed, and can transport more than one passenger. MPG doesn't really bother me that much... I drive a 88 4x4 MJ currently anything gets better mileage than it. I want to be able to start working on longer than one weekend projects for Blue. And having a second (drivable) Jeep that is mine would awesome.

A point my boss had was I can sell a wrangler for almost the same as what i paid for it if i needed to.

This is true. The only Wrangler that I've lost money on is one I put a lot of money into modding. The rest I either broke even or made money on. Under $10k around here would buy you a pretty decent Wrangler, especially when the weather is colder.