swap standard trans to auto

Thinking of swapping out my ax15 for an automatic.Local pull a part has a few Cherokees to

get parts from.What all would i need to get to change it over.

Step daughter will be 16 next year and thinking maybe use for her first vehicle.

Truck is an 89 with a 4.0,5 speed and console, buckets.

Yeah, that is a thought of mine also. :help: Having problems now and again with my knees. And with heavy traffic at times a stick although fun can be a pain. Have a number of options here, :wrench: just need to know what all would be needed for the swap.

I did that swap to a Ford van years ago......back in the day when a C4 only required a vacuum line and linkage.

If it were me I'd take it from a complete donor with a known good tranny. I believe the TPS is different and maybe sections of the wire harness and linkage etc.......

Also you can scrap the donor and get some of you money back.

I look for donors that have more than one thing to offer...........chrome grill........chrome mirrors.........good buckets......interior trim........good cluster........good tires.......etc...........this is all salable or useable on the Comanche.

Trans with matching tcase (check the spline count! '91 up are 23 spline. Before that 21 spline except 3 speed autos) Trans crossbar and mount. Tcase linkage (I converted from 2wd), engine wiring harness with the shift computer (under dash passenger's side) and PCM

Trans with matching tcase (check the spline count! '91 up are 23 spline. Before that 21 spline except 3 speed autos) Trans crossbar and mount. Tcase linkage (I converted from 2wd), engine wiring harness with the shift computer (under dash passenger's side) and PCM

So you're saying my 86' with a three speed auto 904 has a 23 spine output?

So you're saying my 86' with a three speed auto 904 has a 23 spine output?

That's right. Same output as the 727 in FSJs. Probably a NP229 tcase too!

what's wrong with teaching your daughter to drive a stick?

This was my question exactly. My folks would not even let me drive till I learned to drive a manual transmission. Just never know when you may need to drive someone elses vehicle (manual trans) for a medical emergency, practical jokes, etc. comanche.gif

• 2 weeks later...
In that case it may get the spare 242 I've got laying around.

Input depth is different. A Jeep NP208 would be a better fit (fixed yoke, strong enough for 401) but driveshafts will need to be made for the rear (NP208 is 5" shorter than NP229, 228, 219 or the Eagle tcases)

In that case it may get the spare 242 I've got laying around.

Input depth is different. A Jeep NP208 would be a better fit (fixed yoke, strong enough for 401) but driveshafts will need to be made for the rear (NP208 is 5" shorter than NP229, 228, 219 or the Eagle tcases)

Ah, I see. Thanks.