Skull-Manche

So I bought this MJ to get me to work during the snowy winters and to be a fun toy for the trails. I picked it up for next to nothing and decided the first thing it needed was a little cosmetic TLC. I took the stock fender flares off because they were cracked and found a nice little surprise. The previous owner attempted to put cut-out fender flares on it but (from the looks of it) changed their minds after cutting the fenders...resulting in a fiberglass/bondo/rusty mess.

I decided for the time being to smooth it out the best I could by removing the horrible excuse for bondo and redoing it myself. It's far from perfect but a lot better than it was.

I also decided to cut the rotting pieces off the far back/bottom of the bed instead of wasting more time, fiberglass, and bondo or trying to weld in a patch panel. I'll be replacing the bed as soon as I can afford to anyway.

Here are some pics of where it started and where it was at when I decided to stop for the night yesterday. I didn't get pics after I took the flares off but I'll post more pics once I'm done patching it up and after my rattle can paint job.

I know it's not perfect, but it's mine...and it's a HELL of a lot of fun.

Future projects:

Replace front fenders (already have just need to put on)

Replace truck bed

Add Rollbar

Winch ready front bumper

New lift

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It has a 3" lift on it now (best guess). I'm looking into the RE 5.5" SOA down the road. Here are some new pics. I decided to give it a new paint job (rattle can special). My son helped so my lines are a little crooked, but he loves it. I'll post better pics one I get the bedliner applied and the black touched up. Let me know what you guys think!

DISCLAIMER:

I like the Duke of Hazard and thought it would be fun to do a General Lee paint job. 99.9% of the people that have seen this paint job and know me understand this. It's only a paint job...Enjoy!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Wow I spoke way to early... HOLY CRAP THAT'S NICE :bowdown:

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. Glad someone likes it. I let the kids help with the numbers so I'm getting a bunch of crap from the guys at work for the lines not being straight. I think they're just jealous because 1: they don't have a Comanche and 2: they wish they could pull off that paint job.

It was a lot of fun to do...and the kids like it...and that's all that matters to me.

Just got a rollbar from another CC member! I will post pics later with the rollbar and lights installed. I also just picked up a bunch of random parts from the PO. Front fenders, new gauge cluster with tach, driver side mirror, spare tire, headlight switch, and tailpipe. Not sure what I'm going to do with all of that but it's always nice to have extra parts.

I can't wait too see the roll bar in. it's going to look tuff and should help if you roll your truck Straight'nin' the curve,

Flat'nin' the hills.

Here you go man!! Thanks again, these were in GREAT shape and a lot easier to install with the brackets!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

So the confederate flag on my Comanche (as part of the General Lee paint job) apparently offended some people. Usually I wouldn't care, but these are actually people I care about so It's getting a face lift. I'm going with (my original idea) skulls and lucky 13. Here's a couple pics of the PO Adam freehanding the skull on the hood and the aftermath of my crappy painting. Enjoy! (More pics to follow once we get the rest of the truck painted).

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

*** Just for the record, the grille is going to be take off and painted balck. Please ignore the running orange paint :D

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY got a chance to take the Comanche down to Wellsville. Note to self: bring a camera. Here's an "after" pics my buddy took when we got back down to the bottom. I will say I did a lot better than most of the guys I was with, even had to pull them out with my tow strap a couple of times. Overall, a fun trip.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...

So while taking the kids to school the other day, my comanche decided it wanted to over heat and die on the side of the road. It came out of nowhere and it sucked. After getting it towed home and tearing into the engine we found a blown head gasket AND a cracked head. This is EXACTLY what I need with a new baby coming :wall:

Luckily, I'm able to get a complete, running replacement engine for about $150...so let the fun begin. I'll try to take as many pics as possible just in case anyone else has the pleasure of ripping their engine out. I'd much rather be doing this to swap in something better, but I just don't have the cash. Stay tuned kids...

:wrench: :cheers: