How do you approach somebody to buy their Jeep

87Warrior

This is for those of you who knock on random folks doors and ask to buy their neglected Jeep sitting outside. Saw a rust free short bed sport truck with faded black paint and flat tires around my folks neighborhood. Weeds were growing under the truck.

Looking for tips at approaching the owner with the hope to purchase. I'll be.prepared with cash. What do I do? Knock on the door and ask about the MJ, express my interest and ask for a value they'd sell it at? Or leave a note with a phone number?

Usually, I try to see if I can talk to them. A note with a number can be brushed off, forgotten, lost. I will knock on the door a couple times at different points in a day or week. When I finally meet them, I say I want to talk about the Jeep and introduce myself as a fanatic, with a short background. Depending on the feeling I get at that point depends on how far into Jeep Nerd-dom I get. If they get it, I'll pour it on thick, and see if I can woo them with knowledge and passion for the Jeep. If they don't get it, I keep it short, and try not to bother them. Just let them know my interest and leave a card with my number.

Rob

Oh, and I always let them set a price if any. Hate to either let on to how much I would pay for it, or insult them if they have a higher price set.

One constant is the care I will give it. Most people that have an old Jeep laying around is because there is some sentiment attached. Reassuring them that you know what you are doing, and that it will be well taken care of is over half the battle with those cases.

Rob

When I finally meet them, I say I want to talk about the Jeep and introduce myself as a fanatic. Rob

If someone knocked on my door and introduced them self as as a fanatic I'd slam the door in their face. Or introduce them to Mr. 9mm. :yes:

Oh, and I like the boost meter much better as your avatar. :cheers:

Seriously, congrats on acquiring the diesel. Enjoyed your trip pics. I haven't been to VB in many years and was surprised to see how much it has built up. :cheers:

I've asked about jeeps in people's yard but not with the idea of buying there rusty gold. But this is about what I would say:

Hi I'm sorry to bother you I was wondering if you could help me out? Great my name is _______ and my parents live in the neighborhood, you've heard of ______ before right? Great well I saw your jeep out in the yard there and just wanted to stop buy and take a look at it. I've always enjoyed these things and would love to see another one. (Get into the back story of yours just a tad bit to build some repour then get into how they got the jeep). After getting as much back story as needed like how long it's been sitting there and what not remind them that it's sad to see things like that rot. Ask what the wife thinks about it yada yada then say hey look I wouldn't mind taking it off of your hands. That way its out of your way, I have another project that won't ever be done and you'll also have some more $ in your pocket. So when would be a good time for you for me to pick it up Monday or Tuesday? Thanks a bunch for your time and such.

You get the idea. Sell them on the fact that it's just sitting there rotting, the $ they get can help out with bills and you can move it for them with out having to worry about it again. Make sure you build up a good repour with them. Either way good luck :popcorn:

Brandon

i don't have to go to anyone lol...I'm really intertwined in the jeep community around here. Matter of fact since i bought my house i have had several people show up with CJ's, cherokee's and comanches on a dollie or trailer and ask me if i want it. I have bought my last 2 comanche's that way, one with a factory d44. Also got a cherokee for $100 that the p/o thought the motor was knocking....turned out to be an exhaust leak :D Sold it to my brother for $2500 after i lifted it for him.

guess it helps that i have a my flagpole in the front yard with the american flag :USAflag: plus a jeep flag along with it.

Thank god my wife loves me :banana: comanche.gif

I like Brandons idea allot great thinking. When I want to talk to someone I don`t know I wait until I can catch them outside. However don`t wait to long I had my eye on a MJ with a plow that was sunk down in the ground and within a few weeks it was scrapped.

According to my father, the truck has been sitting for 2-3 years and he doesn't know who the owner is. Truck has veterans tags. Who ever is the owner doesn't appear to be a Jeep addict like us, he only has one.

Thanks for tips/methods you all use. Rob, your method is what I had been thinking about doing I've got no problem knocking on the front door and talking to who ever answers. I do that all day every day as my job for the power company. I will follow the suggestions put forth here with a sweaty wad of cash in my pocket next weekend. At least I assume it is a good idea to be prepared with payment so there more incentive for owner and it makes you serious.

i ran across my 89 parked on the side of a garage looking neglected. i pulled into a parking lot across the street to write a note but the owner came out the door. he has a hot rod in the garage he was working on so i pulled into the driveway. i showed interest in his hot rod and then switched the conversation to the MJ. he named the price, i took it home the next weekend.

Just don't let on how much $ you have/ are willing to spend.

And thanks I knock doors every day selling security systems so I've gotten really good at that type of thing :banana:

Again good luck :popcorn:

Brandon

I use different approaches including Brandons. I prefer talking to the owner over leaving a note. Once I spotted a MJ sitting at the curb, obviously hadn't been drove in a while and was being used as a dumpster. Lady wasn't interested in selling. I would stop by about once a month and check it out. After a year of this I called the city and asked why a junk vehicle was allowed to sit on the curb in violation of the cities trash, litter and inop vehicle ordinances. 2 days later she called me wanting to know if I still wanted it. Ended up buying the MJ and a wrecked '98 XJ sport she had in the back yard for $450 dollars. What really bugs me is some one has a junker and they would give it to some body just to get rid of it, but when you ask them about it, it suddenly becomes a family treasure, rare antique etc, and they ask 10-20 times what it's worth.