Radiator Advice

I have a 1989 Mj Pioneer 4x4 and auto. I got a aluminum bottle from macs radiator on it and it still over heats slightly. Could this be the radiator? If so what radiator would be a good replacement? 1 or 2 row? Any advice is appreciated.

Check the fins between the tubes. All the jeep 4.0 radiators that I have had go bad where the cooling fins separate from the tubes. I always replace with a 2 row, it may be more than needed but I figure the thermostat can control the flow and maintain the temp. A single row may work fine depending on your area, ambient temp, driving habits, and traffic patterns.

I also get the all metal radiators and stay away from those with plastic end caps.

You should think about getting an infrared thermometer. They're not that expensive and it will tell you the temp of any component under the hood. Again, back to Pete's question, its key. You need to figure out if its actually overheating or not. These engines typically run at 210 or so, 4.0 right? I don't know what temp triggers the idiot light, someone here does though.

My personal rule of thumb for diagnostics on overheating...

On highway at speed is a coolant circulation problem: Radiator, water pump, air in lines, heater core clogged etc.

In traffic, crawling, at idle etc. is an air circulation problem: Fan clutch, e-fan, blocked radiator etc.

Any other time for no apparent reason is a pressure/air problem: Bad or inadequate cap, cracked bottle, pinner leak, air in system etc.

I also get the all metal radiators and stay away from those with plastic end caps.

Around here [Oregon], the highway department puts magnesium chloride on the roads as a de-icer in the winter [and volcanic cinder for traction which damages paint and windows, but that's another story]. Magnesium chloride corrodes aluminum, and a plastic-capped radiator may be more beneficial as there is less exposed aluminum by having a portion that is plastic. I replaced my radiator in my 87 this year with a plastic capped one just because of this consideration, since the last one was eaten thin [and seeping] from years of de-icer exposure.